Chapter 24- Adeline

I hope I didn't upset Maxon. I never told him because, well, it doesn't matter anymore. I've given it all up for him. My worst nightmare is that he lets me go now, because he doesn't want to keep me caged in the very life I sought to escape. I can't go now, not when I love him this much. Still, from my uncle's expression upon his arrival, it may not be Maxon making the decision. The odds certainly aren't in my favour here.

We take to the meeting table, I am sat next to my uncle, across from us is Maxon, Queen Amberley and King Clarkson. Maxon doesn't look at me the way he did when his father was questioning me earlier. He is just blank, as if he feels I've been using him this whole time.

My uncle opens the meeting, his voice deathly calm, but laced with anger. "What is going on here in Illea? What do you mean that rebels are attacking the castes and families of the elite?" King Clarkson matches his tone "I think you've just said it all. If I had a reason, I'd have stopped this already. The only possible explanation is that they dislike the selection altogether, or want to cause disruption for the royal family. Though Adeline seems to think this will have no impact on Spain."

"So she has explained. However we have no way of being certain. This country is in havoc and I will not stand for it to spread to mine. At present, even if she did marry your son, and our countries ally, how can I be sure that my involvement in your affairs doesn't put my own country at risk? Even if it didn't, and we successfully crush the rebellion in Illea, then what becomes? Our countries couldn't be any more different."

Clarkson narrows his eyes. "Then what do you propose?" My uncle doesn't consult me on this one "Adeline leaves the selection. We go back to as we were, neutral. Nothing gained, nothing lost." When Clarkson seems to consider this, I snap. I'm done being a pawn.

"No." I stand up again and look down at my uncle. "What did you just say to me?" He responds in shock and rage, Clarkson sharing a similar look of surprise and amusement.

"You heard me. I said no. You promised me my freedom and now I am seizing it. I am staying here, because I love Maxon Schreave, I choose to compete for his heart, I don't care if he doesn't love me back, because my heart is his to break and I am not going to let you stand in the way of not only something which could be beautiful between Spain and Illea, but also between me and him. You want to talk politics? Fine. I am the common denominator between Illea and Europe. I have the power and connections to make this work. Italy and Germany? Done. But this will only happen on my terms, for the benefit of Illea, because I know what they wantand I am prepared to give it to them. So I will not leave, not now. Because this is where I belong. I might be Spanish made, and I have gratitude for that, but I am illean born."

My uncle shakes his head in fury "What have they done to you?"

"NO! what have YOU done to me. You wanted a strong, powerful leader from me. You wanted a perfect princess at the same time. You wanted a political weapon, and bargaining chip, and infinitely more. You created me, you made me this, but whatever you do or say, you cannot control my head and my heart, because now it is from there that I lead."

The room goes quiet, like a ship on a dangerous sea, but now I am at the steering wheel.

"If you have come here today, to withdraw me from the selection then you will return to Spain disappointed. I love you, I love Spain, but nobody has given me more than Maxon. Upon my arrival here, my world was in black and white, and he was the first thing I ever saw clearly in colour." My voice breaks, but I soon regain composure, as I notice Queen Amberly smiling encouragingly and proudly at me.

"You know your parents disapproved of Aunt... but you married her anyway. That's love. And it's the only thing I ever wanted that you couldn't give me." This has the desired impact on uncle, and seemingly King Clarkson too, I know little of his story, but the slight look on his face and the way he reached for his wife's hand showed me that maybe he wasn't completely heartless after all.

"In terms of the rebels, I promise you that it shall no way impact Spain. I know that I am taking a risk here, I know that by staying here attention is drawn to Spain, and I would never do anything to harm it. I will devote my everything to the defence of both Illea and Spain."

My uncle's voice is weak "What if you fail?" I stare at him "Then I am not the woman you raised me to be." He nods silently, everyone is weighing up my words.

Clarkson interjects "How do you intend help Illea?" I look at him "I will devote time and resources to tracking down these rebels properly. In my opinion, we could gain the upper hand by understanding them, their weakness, their movements and then manage our forces more tactfully. We need to rally public support before they do, perhaps offer incentives for them to hand in rebels, create distrust among their ranks, and break them apart." Both kings look at eachother for an extended amount of time.

"She can stay." My uncle huffs. "She needs to be here. If you want her to become your princess, you have my blessing, if not..." he looks at me "Then you are always welcome back in Spain." I sigh, relieved, and nod, before taking my seat again.

Clarkson announces "The selection has dragged on long enough. Maxon told me he was ready to make his decision. He now has two hours before the scheduled reveal. Due to circumstances, we have obviously shortened and rushed the selection in order to get this over with as quickly as possible, to focus on more pressing matters, cutting some traditions in the process. Maxon, you will leave this meeting and make your decision between Adeline and Kriss. They will appear on the broadcast, in two hours where you shall propose to one. I advise you to think carefully about your decision."

Maxon gets up and leaves with Amberly, not looking back at me. "Your majesty, you are welcome to stay. We always have the families of both ladies here because... well... the loser tends to be dramatic." Clarkson smirks, before leaving me alone with my uncle.

"Why you'd want to be his daughter in law I will never understand." My uncle teases gently, opening his arms and I rush into them. I cry, and he seems taken aback "Geez Adeline, I've never seen you cry before." Chuckling, I sniffle "It happens a lot recently." He shakes his head. "I'm so sorry. Your parents would be so disappointed if they saw what I forced upon you."

He never spoke of my parents.

"I'm sorry too!" I cry "I've made Clarkson hate me, when you told me to aim for civil relations, and now Maxon... I think he will pick Kriss uncle. I really do. Then what?"

"Adeline, Clarkson hates everyone. That's the truth, and if Maxon picks you, he will have to deal with it. He will also have to know that should he EVER mistreat you then I shall have serious problems, so he'd be risking his international relations. But besides that, you're strong. And you've proven you can stand up for yourself."

I sniff again, as this is the most my uncle has ever complimented or opened up to me.

"As for his son, well, you defied the authority of two kings for him. You did it not knowing or caring what it meant for you or your future. He would be most foolish not to pick you, but like I said you always have a home in Spain. One which I will now adapt, not just for you, but for Isabella, as I now see why you were so protective over her." I grin gratefully, as he tells me everything I ever wanted to hear. "He would be lucky to call you his Queen." Happy tears run down my face.

"Now go and pull yourself together! You are a Reyes, for goodness sakes." He orders in mock seriousness, and with one last hug I go, doing just that. Preparing for either outcome, placing my trust in fate.