Chapter 2- Adeline

My hands clap over my mouth when I realise that I made the selection. The reality sunk in of what I would have to do. And I hated it. I looked at uncle, who was grinning, but I just couldn't meet his eyes. This felt wrong. "I knew Clarkson would pull through!" The King of Spain said giddily. I turn and faces him, eyes ablaze "Our agreement stands. You wanted me in the selection to make a positive impact in Illea. Clarkson guaranteed me a place in the selection because he thinks me a favourable candidate and wants our countries to be united. But I'll remind you what I want in return, should I fail to become princess of Illea, both you and King Clarkson agreed that I can travel, live wherever I want, marry who I want, and you will support me financially." To this, the King nods slowly "But you remember our terms. You will not throw this selection." I nod and we shake hands. "I guess I'd better get ready then."

The next few days were a whirlwind. Illean officials coming over to the Spanish castle to question and prepare me, Spanish people on the phone congratulating me and an overwhelming sense of dread as I detested the unknown.

Soon, it was time to embark on my journey. A car took me to the Airport; I would travel alone. A reception of people greeted me on my way in, so many that security had to call for backup, which I felt was unnecessary, but carried on waving and smiling to the crowds regardless. I notice the cameras on me at all times, and know that I must impress. My uncle, aunt and my little cousin came too, and it was time for me to say goodbye. I curtsy to the king, and he takes me in a gentle but strong embrace. I do the same for the queen, kissing her on either cheek. Softly, I bend down to reach the height of six year old crown princess Isabella, opening my arms wide as the girl ran into them. I stand up, holding Isabella on my hip, who seems distraught at the departure of her cousin. Gently, I console her, before twirling her round fondly and kissing her on the head. I hand her back to the queen, as I wave them off, weaving through the crowds to reach the plane.

Quickly I board the private jet, and simply stared out of the window for the duration of the flight, insisting I was content and needing no attendants. I just relaxed, dreaming of when the selection is over and I am free. The possibilities are endless: I could travel, move to another country, do whatever i wanted with myself. But for now, I focused on enjoying the calm before the storm.

When the flight landed, the reception was even crazier. People must really love the selection in Illea, as a vast number of people turned up to the airport to see me. There were even more cameras than there had been upon my departure, as my arrival in Illea was clearly more significant. Taking a breath, I walked, smiling and waving as I had been taught to do in Spain, looking elegant and polite at all times. As I looked over to the sea of people and began to wave, i stop in my tracks. Behind the temporary barrier was a little girl, jumping to try and catch my attention, while also dodging the people pushing in front of her. I walked over to the barrier, lifted the little girl over it, and kneeled down to talk to her.

"Hello!" the girl breathes, starstruck. "Hello! The crowds seem awfully rowdy. Are you here alone?" I ask her gently. "Yes, I am. I live close and when I heard you were coming I just had to walk here and see! My parents are working." The girl replies, taking a strand of my hair in her little hands "you're so beautiful." I chuckle "not as pretty as you! I'll tell you what, would you like to walk with me until I get to my car?" The little girl's eyes grow wide "Really? Oh yes!" I take her tiny hand and the crowd cheers as we walk down the airport, the girl is smiling and waving just like me. "What Is your name?" I ask her while we walk. "Annabeth." "What a pretty name. You smile and wave beautifully as well!" The girl just blushes and smiles widely upon hearing this praise, and we soon near the end of our time together. I kneel down to her height again, and give her a big hug. Still smiling, I take off the bracelet I am wearing and put it on Annabeth's little wrist. "Goodbye Annabeth!" I whisper, despite wanting to stay for longer "Goodbye Adeline! Thank you so much!" Before leaving, I call a security guard and ensure that Annabeth will make it safely home.

And then, the journey to the castle begins.