Chapter 28- Adeline

Marrying Maxon was the best thing that ever happened to me. Every day with him, I learned something new about him, his life, his personality, and I loved him with everything I had.

After the wedding, he took me to Spain on a honeymoon. We stopped by at the palace, to see Marlee and Carter, and they seemed to be well. That wasn't the reason that Maxon took me back to Spain though, he knew that my life in Spain was confined to the palace, and he'd spent weeks researching beautiful places in the country, so he could take me to all of them, and help me connect with Spain again, exploring everything I never got to.

It was perfect. I wished the honeymoon would never end, I was so content with him. No duty, no expectations. It was just him.

Soon, we were forced to go back to life as Illean royalty, and it got even more demanding, as the threat of rebellion spread across the country, and I was expected to use European connections to intervene.

One day, Maxon and I were sat in his room, I leaned my head on his shoulder and sighed as he held me close to him. It wasn't easy, but I had him. We sat, enjoying the silence and tranquility of the moment, until the alarms ring again, and guards are preparing for a rebel attack.

Both Maxon and I turn white as a sheet. This was the first attack since the selection had ended, and the first one since I had almost died. Maxon pulls me up and grabs me, holding my hand tightly as we run. Four guards come to collect us, to take us to the safe room. Maxon never lets go, holding my hand tightly, not even releasing me as we are sat in the safe room. I flinch at every shot, and he notices, pulling me close.

His eyes grow wide, as he notices the absence of his parents. "They'll be here soon, I'm sure of it." I whisper to him, and he nods silently. But they never come. As the gunshots slowly stop, they never come. I can read the internal panic in maxon's eyes, and tighten my grip on his hand.

The door opens, and a guard walks in. He sits up straighter, noticing the somber look on the guard's face. "Your parents were killed in the rebel attack. I'm sorry."

My hands clap to my mouth, and I notice the pure shock and horror on Maxon's face. He was the king now. "How...did they die." He whispers to the guard, not meeting him in the eyes "Your mother died protecting your father from several armed rebels. She went down first, your father soon after." The guard explains. I gently pull Maxon into my embrace, whispering how sorry I am for him. Everything was about to change.

Within the next month, we had to plan both a funeral and a coronation. Maxon immediately took on duties as king, and I helped him to shoulder the burden the best I could.

One thing which I had felt rather passionately about, and Maxon agreed, was the castes. Our first major change was to dissolve them, working from the eights all the way down to one. The people rejoiced at this, we heard parties and celebrations each time a new caste was taken away. Of course it presented its challenges, but they seemed insignificant when we looked at the success dissolving the castes had on illeas people. The rebel attacks stopped, as if this was the outcome they wanted. A fairer king, and a fairer illea.

The day of the coronation soon came, and preparing for it felt like my wedding day all over again, but with more pressure. Maxon and I get ready together this time, his stylists and servants working next to mine, seeing how we look together. When we finished, he comes over and kisses me gently "You look beautiful, darling" He sighs happily, taking hold of my hands and squeezing them tightly. "You look pretty handsome yourself" I return, squeezing his hands back. "All that's left is your crown now, my king." And I give him the same mock curtsy I always used to. He chuckles, pulling me into his arms and whispers in my ear "you are my crown, my love." Our moment is interrupted by the advisors calling us to the throne room- it's time.

The coronation commences, royals from everywhere attending, as they recognise the significance of the new king and queen being crowned. We intend to take a different approach than King Clarkson- we just want peace and happiness for our people.

Soon, we make our promises to the country and to the people, before being handed the sceptre and orb, crowns then placed on our heads. The people were ecstatic, as a new era would begin.

Once Maxon and I are out of sight, we share a quick kiss, before going to the celebratory ball. Naturally, Nicoletta and Harriet are the first to run into my arms. "Who'd have thought you'd be the first of us three to be crowned hey?" Hattie grins playfully, and Nic beams too, looking around for Maxon, who has briefly left my side to speak to someone. "Where is the king?" She asks, and I point to him conversing with someone who looks important. "Ads, do you think that it's time?" She asks me seriously, looking at Harriet for confirmation. I blink, understanding what they wish to do, and reply "Are you sure? I mean, it is pretty much finalised on my end." Nicoletta and Harriet nod at each other. "We are in, go get your husband and we can sort it here and now" Harriet offers, and I oblige. Thankfully, Maxon has finished his conversation, and he greets me with a grin. Saying nothing, I lead him to where Nic and Hattie are stood.

"Princess Nicoletta, Princess Harriet, it is lovely to see you again, I am so glad you could attend." Harriet shakes her head "no need for formalities Maxon. Ads is our best friend so you'll be seeing us a lot more often now and you can be sure of that." Maxon blinks, before laughing a little. Nicoletta interjects, to bring the conversation back to a more serious mood "Seriously though, Maxon, all three of us have something to discuss with you." He looks at me curiously, and I smile supportively, as Nicoletta continues "You may be aware that Italy, along with the German Federation and Spain, has avoided an alliance with Illea for a while now, and we want to tell you why." Now Maxon is intrigued, as he lets her continue "Our countries were all disapproving of the way your father ruled. I'm sure Adeline's mentioned that before, but it's more than simple disagreements. The people were unhappy, the trade was unfair, and your father only had his best intentions in mind. Quite frankly, France only allied because in my opinion, their king is impressionable and was scared of King Clarkson, but anyway, that is all in the past now. We support you and Adeline, we've seen the changes you've made for the better, and we have all, collectively, begun to finalise an agreement for a formal alliance with all of our home countries, and illea." She explains very well, and Maxon seems taken aback. He looks at us all, misty eyed, seemingly lost for words at this. "Really? You'd all do that?" We all nod excitedly, and he turns to me "You...convinced your uncle?" I smile at him "Did you really doubt me?" He grins and pulls me into an embrace. "We will leave you to enjoy your night. We look forward to working with you, brother in law." Harriet jokingly winks after that last part, and she and Nicoletta walk away happily. Maxon is still chuckling, a happy smile plastered across his face. "Good surprise?" I ask, and he plants his lips on mine "amazing surprise."

Maxon steps away from me, placing a face of mock seriousness on his face "My Queen, would you do me the honour of allowing me a dance?" I grin and match his tone and expressions "it would be an honour, my king." I curtsy playfully, and he takes my hand and leads me to the dance floor. We dance for a while, our bodies melting together, and he whispers in my ear "fitting, considering we first met at a ball, even if we were 14." I smile, and respond "maybe it was written in the stars." He chuckles, and pulls me closer.

The night was truly perfect