You're Forbidden Fruit

(TW: Mention of serve dieting and rapid weight loss)

When Jaemin is waiting to go out and perform the routine with Jeno, he recalls how they first interacted. Another chapter of the Nomin book idea!

The day that everyone had been waiting for has finally arrived, and Jaemin's heart was racing like crazy in his chest. Behind the dark ruby red curtains sat the entire auditorium, filled with student body members, family members and major university investors who were all expecting to be blown away with a brand new dance routine that had never been performed in Seoul before. 

It was common knowledge that Pledis university put on one of the most incredible performances of the year in the hopes of securing new students who could bring their inheritance to the table. Every year the university would make the first years perform an elaborate showcase that was far superior than any of their capabilities, to showcase that their university provided the best teachers that money could buy. 

Jaemin had grown to hate the institution. Especially when he learned that the only reason for his starring role was because of who his Appa was. Pledis wanted to put him centre-stage to show to everyone that they were the luckiest school in the world to have the son of Korea's most loved K-pop star - Byun Baekhyun - in attendance. Baekhyun had outwardly expressed his concern, fearing that the university was asking way too much of his son. A rumor spread, rearranging the singer's words to mean that he figured his son would be incapable of headlining such a massive showcase. Jaemin desire to show the internet trolls that he was more than capable only grew. 

He thought that he had the routine in hand, a lot of simple steps with additional complex moves to spice up the routine. It was sensible and expected for what everyone was asking for. The inclusion of props and elaborate outfits were going to be enough to distract people away from the fact that his feet would hurt and his arms would grow tired from lifting the pretty ballerina he was originally partnered with. 

It wasn't until his ex-boyfriend announced to everyone in the cafeteria that they were thinking about a whole new dance - a paired routine where Jaemin would act as the female lead. A ballerino in the ballerina's position. The entire school went into uproar, with many supporting the new idea as it was previously unheard of. Chase had made it seem so magical, drawing on Jaemin's previous desire of preforming a lift - with him being the one lifted into the air. 

On paper it could work and throughout the school year he performed a strict diet in order to loose weight so it would be easier for Chase to pull of the move. Unfortunately, for everyone involved Jaemin fell against the floor-mat face first and Chase somehow managed to break his leg. The routine was over, and everyone stressed to find a replacement. 

Dejected and feeling guilty for what happened, Jaemin wanted to give up. He had lost so much weight that his poor Appa was starting to get concerned. He wanted Jaemin to start a new diet immediately, even wanted to force food down his throat just so he would eat. The doctors were concerned as well, but they knew that this was as much of a mental condition as it was physical. So, they slowly changed his diet and Jaemin eventually started to gain back weight, not enough just yet to be considered healthy but enough to be functional. 

When he was strong enough to return to the dance floor, he did so with a flourish. With his friends and his family as a massive driving support force, Jaemin found love in the music and in his dancing again. Meeting Jeno made the last few pieces fall back into place. 

They had previously been introduced since Jeno was acting as a janitor after he and his friends had trashed the auditorium that would typically hold the summer showcases. They would see each other in the halls, Jeno with his usual short-sleeved white shirt and those dungarees -though he would never wear the top half- and that ridiculous mop and bucket that he had nicknamed Pip and Squeak. Jaemin would always be in his oversized hoodie and sweatpants since he had grown sensitive to the cold when he lost all that weight.