A lot to Smile About

"I don't wanna do this anymore," I say frustratedly slamming my pencil down on the kitchen table.

"Come on Bay, you know the answer...Just try to read the question slower" Pony says trying to work with me to get my grades back up.

Ever since I was dragged home yesterday Pony has been doing his best to help me understand this learning disability or whatever. He says if I just concentrate and read slower it might be able to help with the letters getting all jumbled on the page.

I haven't talked to Soda or Darry since we got home yesterday and Darry told me I was no longer allowed to talk to my friends. How am I supposed to concentrate on schoolwork when the only thing on my mind is how much I hate everybody?

I pushed the textbook away from me and glared at Pony. "I am d. o. n. e." I spell out slowly with sarcasm before standing from the table and disappearing into my room.

I wanted to scream with frustration. I feel like I am treated like such a baby and nobody listens to me. I swept my hands through my hair tugging at my scalp. I let out a sigh of frustration, overwhelmed by my thoughts.

I am taken by surprise when there is a small tap on my window. I rush over pulling back the torn curtains only to see Jess standing on top of a garbage bin outside of my window looking back at me.

"Ya know for someone afraid of my brother, you sure do spend a lot of time sneaking around outside my window" I joked as I pushed open the window.

Jess chuckled "I figured you would be on house arrest again after those stupid Socs' set you up" An apologetic grin spread across his face.

I let out a defeated laugh. "Yeah I guess I should have seen that comin'"

"Yeah" Jess agreed.

"So how was Ella's Birthday Party?" I asked attempting to change the subject.

"Not too good," Jess said bowing his head. "She cried the whole time, I think her mom forgot it was her birthday and of course she was upset you couldn't be there she tried to fight Judy Johnson again after she and her posse still tried to show up to the party".

"Shit...Did she try to fight you too?" I ask taking note of his swollen purplish cheekbone.

Jess reached up touching his face. "Oh, that. My old man caught me trying to sneak that bottle of vodka and he wasn't too happy with me" He admitted with a broken smile.

A feeling of disgust came over me. I had got caught stealing from a store and Darry did not lay a hand on me. I began to feel somewhat selfish. Complaining about how bad I had it seemed trivial when compared to the struggles of others around me. Jess and Johnny got beat by their parents and Ella's mom was too far gone to remember her daughter's birthday.

"I am so sorry," I say brushing my hand over his bruised face.

The other side of his cheek turned a rosy red color and he looked at me with a smile. Jess was always smiling, even in situations when I felt like a smile was not necessary. He had a nice smile and seeing him smile always causes a smile to tug at my lips, but what was there to always smile about? You are bruised in the face yet you smile? You are almost killed in a fight...yet you smile?

"Why you always smiling"? I ask.

"A lot to smile about" he states simply.

I roll my eyes at his cheesy response as the edge of my lips curves upward. I rest my hand under my chin and let out an irritated groan.

"So, How long are you grounded for this time"?

"Probably forever"

"Forever is a pretty long time"