Pinky Promises & Going Too Far

When we pulled up to the house the second the car stopped I rushed out of the car and away from the painfully silent and awkward car ride. I barreled through the front door, Julie coming in behind me.

"If it isn't my favorite ladies, How was dinner?" Darry asked folding down the newspaper he was reading and coming to greet Julie with another kiss. I looked up at Julie to see if she was going to answer.

She flashed Darry a big smile pulling away from his kiss. "Dinner was great, We had some really good pizza, and some really good talks".

I rolled my eyes. What a Liar. I thought to myself.

Sodapop who had dozed off on the couch sat up and rubbed the sleep out of eyes. He stood up to greet Julie making his way to stand with all of us in front of the door.

"You must be one of the brothers"? Julie asked extending her hand to shake Soda's.

"Yes, ma'am I'm Sodapop, the handsome brother". Soda chuckled returning her handshake and smirking back at Darry.

"Easy little brother". Darry jokingly warned.

Thinking I was in the clear now that more small talk was happening. I went to walk past everybody and head to my room for the night when Darrell grabbed me by the shoulder.

"There somthin' you wanna say to Julie for taking you out tonight"?

I should have just said thank you and left it alone. She wasn't going to tell Darry what I said to her at dinner or how I acted. Something inside of me was frustrated that she lied about how it went like she was trying to 'have my back' or something. We were not friends and I wanted to make sure she knew I was serious about disappearing.

I chewed on the inside of my lip for a second before looking back up at Julie "Don't ever come back".

Julies face shifted from a smile to a panicked frown while Darry's morphed into confusion and anger.

Soda shot a parental scowl in my direction, squishing his eyebrows together taken off guard by my response. "Baylee, That was rude".

"What the hell is the matter with you?" Darry asked, his eyes locking with mine.

"She's lying about dinner, It went terrible. Do you really want to date a liar? I don't think Mom would approve." I spat.

"Hey. That's enough. Apologize right this second". Darry reprimanded his nostrils flaring.

"It's okay" Julie tried coming to my rescue again which only fueled my anger.

"No". I spat back.

"Baylee" Soda chimed in.

Maybe Julie would see how hard it is to raise kids by me acting out right now and she will take it as a sign to run for the hills.

Darry's jaw tightened as he visibly clenched his teeth together in frustration. "Apologize now".