30

"EMBER is a tough woman."

Tumingin si Ivo kay Miko. Katatapos lang niyang kausapin ang doktor ni Ember. She was doing well. Hindi na kritikal ang kondisyon ng babae. Her vitals were good and improving. Ayon sa doktor ay maililipat na sa recovery room si Ember kapag nagtuloy-tuloy ang magandang progress.

Tumango si Ivo bilang pagsang-ayon. "She is."

"She's been tough in college but she's a lot tougher now. The Ember you know—"

"She's not gone," putol ni Ivo. Bahagya na siyang naiinis na paulit-ulit iyong sinasabi at ipinapaalala sa kanya. Na para hindi rin siya nagbago sa mga nakalipas na taon. "She's still the amazing person she is. She's tougher now. Maybe. But she had always been this amazing human being. It's been a really long time and I may not know everything that happened all through the years, but I'm still certain she's still the kindest and the sweetest girl in the world."

Napangiti si Miko. "I remember you."

"And I remember you, too." He didn't just remember her as the lesbian Ember saved from some athletes. Ember didn't stop caring for Miko. She followed up almost everyday after the incident. She made cookies and then savory breads when she learned Miko didn't really like sweets.

Ivo remembered Miko didn't really know what to do with Ember, what to think of her. He could imagine Miko thinking, "Is this girl for real?" For a fleeting moment, he was worried Miko would fall for Ember.

"I remember you as Ember's boyfriend in college."

Mas napangiti si Ivo. "That's a nice way to be remembered by." Ganoon nga siguro siya sa ibang tao noong kolehiyo. Ember's boyfriend. For some people, they remembered him as the de Miguel in the university and the popular guy in school, but for some people, he was "Ember's boyfriend." He loved that in some sort of strange way.

Ember was as much popular as he was in college. She was popular for her kindness and for being very friendly. Noong maging opisyal ang relasyon nilang dalawa, saka lang niya nakita at nalaman kung gaano karami ang mga kaibigan nito, kung gaano kalawak ang koneksiyon ng babae.

Ember got invites for all sorts of parties from all sorts of people. Naalala niya na um-attend siya ng binyag ng isang former cheerleader na nabuntis sa unang taon nito sa kolehiyo. She once organized a diamond anniversary for a classmate's grandparents and she cried during the renewal of vows. She dragged him to tea parties with some gay titos. Nakarating sila sa ilang probinsiya para sa fiestas. They went to beach parties, kids parties and regular college parties—with and without costumes. They hosted their own parties.

It was the year of a great relationship filled with so much love and happiness. He had never loved anyone as much as he loved her.

But then it took him so many years to come back.

"You told the hospital you're her fiancé," sabi ni Miko.

"Yes." At paninindigan niya ang bagay na iyon. Wala siyang pakialam kung mali. Wala siyang gaanong pakialam kung may nasasagasaan siya. Magbabago siguro ang lahat kapag nagkamalay na si Ember at sasabihin sa kanya na ayaw nitong maging "fiancée" niya, pero sa ngayon ay iyon na muna siya.

Tumango si Miko. "I know you're not but I want you to be for the time being."

Bahagyang nagsalubong ang kanyang mga kilay. Inasahan niya ang pagpalag nito.

"It's very clear that she's in danger," paliwanag ni Miko. "Your name can give her an added layer of protection. Walang kakanti sa mapapangasawa ng isang de Miguel. The security you requested are here. She's part of the police force pero hindi ko tuluyang ibibigay ang tiwala ko sa kanila. Marti already explained some things to you, sabi ni Yael."