4.

It appeared as though a brief span of a few days had swiftly gone by since it was now Thanksgiving—the morning sun creeping through the grimy windows of the firehouse, casting long shadows across the worn-out linoleum floor

Dayvon was rubbing his tired eyes, feeling the exhaustion of another long shift weighing heavy on his shoulders. As he stumbled into the common area, he was met with the familiar scent of burnt coffee and the sound of his colleagues swapping stories from the night before.

"Pussy wet as hell. Ian' think I was gone last long not gone lie" Joked Marcus, a younger firefighter with a mischievous grin. When his eyes abruptly encountered Von's figure, he began to laugh, completely disregarding the previous conversation. "Yo, wassup nigga. Look like you got hit by a truck or some shit. You good?"

Dayvon chuckled, running his hand through his fresh re-twisted dreadlocks. "Yeah, I'm straight" He replied. "Why you in here talking about pussy? Let Ramirez hear yo' ass, you getting fired on the spot"

He helped himself to a glazed donut from the communal box, typically brought in by the lone female firefighter among all the men. Von wasted no time devouring it while exchanging fist bumps with his colleagues in a casual greeting.

"We told him that. He just can't seem to stop talking about last night. He got laid wit' some girl" Another firefighter butted in.

"Y'all still went to that kickback party?"

"Hell yeah. It was lit though, mad chill. We invited you, why you ain't pull up?"

Dayvon shrugged, adjusting his heavy worn-out turnout gear. "Ah nigga been tired"

"I feel it. But whatchu doing later on? They bogus as hell for making us work on Thanksgiving"

"Sliding over to my homie Meech's house, he having a lil' get together or what not. And imma pull up on Durk 'cause India cooked. So imma grab me a plate from there and then head over to my parent's place too"

"Nigga finna eat good as hell today, damn" A man named Chris teased while twisting a bolt on the engine, causing the whole crew to burst out laughing; even earning a smirk from Von.

They had already checked the engines, tested the hoses, and ensured that every piece of equipment was in top condition.

However, the man's witty comment held truth; Von was known for having a big appetite. And with three households lined up for some serious grubs today, excited Dayvon. Kema chose to dine out for Thanksgiving this year instead of spending it with her family, so Von was taking Kasim along with him.

They were hitting up Meech's spot first, chilling at Durk's for a bit afterwards, and then crashing at his parent's place, where he might even sleep over for the night since they had extra bedrooms. It was gonna be hectic today nonetheless.

"On King David" His grin stretched beneath the brim of his helmet when he ended up putting it on.

"Pack me a plate too, fuck it. Ole girl I'm fuckin' with can't cook for shit" Marcus, true to form, dramatically huffed and puffed, drawing laughter from the group once more.