Chapter 23

Reich didn't get up the next morning.

He didn't sleep, at all.

He laid on bed alone and unsure what to do with himself.

There had been no signs of Germany.

The clock ticked over, and over, and over.

Reich sat up, fiddled up with his day, and his mood.

He slipped out of his bed, and slowly made his way towards the closet.

He opened the stupid thing and began pushing boxes and trash out of the way, until he found what he was looking for.

A singular vodka bottle.

Reich grabbed it emotionlessly. He didn't hesitated once he had it, he opened it immediately and started chugging the burning liquid.

Eventually he couldn't take it anymore, just like everything else in his life, and paused.

He marched back to his bed, getting under the covers this time, and continued to drink the liquor.

He didn't care that it burned him, or that he was spilling some of it on his shirt or the bed.

He wanted this, he wanted to feel numb.

Nothing happened that day, and that same feeling followed into the next day.

But this time he didn't have any vodka.

The German laid in bed, unmoving, he hugged the empty bottle. It's cold touch was welcoming to the German.

He wasn't going to do anything. No matter what.

If he didn't do anything, he couldn't do anything wrong.

Simple. So simple. So very simple.

Another day passed, slow and weakening, despite nothing happening.

The German ignored his growing hunger and dehydration. He's done it before, he could do it again.

He could always do it again.

Click.

A click? Reich moved his eyes towards the door, the door had been opened.

This felt so familiar, so very familiar.

Was it Germany? But why would he be here? Why would he want to see him?

It wasn't Germany.

That stupid Russian. Why couldn't he just leave him alone?

Soviet stared at him from across the room. Reich couldn't read his expression.

It was almost as blank as his, yet there was a different emotion fueling it. A different response to a different problem.

The Russian walked over to him, spying on the vodka bottle that laid in his arms.
He reached for it, Reich growled at him. Like some beast trying to defend it's cub.

The Russian pulled his hand back, looking unamused.

He waited a moment for the German to calm down before reaching towards him again. This time going for the German, not the bottle.

He pulled the Reich up by his arms, making him sit properly. The Russian stared st him for a moment.

Reich looked back at him, feeling like absolute crap.

The Russian moved away from him, and walked towards the closet.

Reich watched him, his mind panicked for a moment. Why was he going over there? What if he finds it? Could he already know it was there?