Rival (part 1)

"Don't get in my way, Yang," Eddy Chen said as he walked past Brett on the way to the stage, purposely bumping his shoulder.

Brett innocently looked up at the taller man.

It was the annual competition in their school, the most prestigious school in the country, and Eddy Chen was determined to win.

He walked up on stage and let his Sibelius concerto sounds throughout the hall. The last note echoed, leaving an aftertaste in the sound consuming walls.

He walked off during the rumbling applause, shooting Brett who was up next a nasty look. Brett met his eyes with an expressionless face as always.

Eddy hated it. He could never get to Brett. While Brett's presence madly infuriated Eddy, Eddy's existence seemed to be insignificant for the other.

It would just be so much easier if Brett once, just once, did something wrong, something reprehensible. Something that would shatter his angelic Potemkin coulisse.

Eddy's train of thought was disturbed by the first clear tones of Mendelssohn's violin concerto. He looked back to the stage in disbelief, but the stood Brett, undeniably the source.

It made Eddy sick to his stomach. He ran. He ran to the bathrooms and splashed himself with water, concentrating on keeping his stomach contents down.

But as he heard the crisp pitches of Brett's double stops echo through the halls, his stomach rebelled and he threw himself into a stall. His breathing was giving up on him, drawing in air in shallow, suffocating breaths. It felt like the room was closing in on him and he couldn't do anything but give in.

"Eddy! Eddy!"

The voice snapped Eddy back to reality. He'd had a panic attack. The voice was soft and gentle, but when he opened his eyes they narrowed with disgust.

Reflexively, his body jolted, throwing his hands towards the person saying his name and hitting them sideways.

"Get away from me!" Eddy growled, furious and shaken to no limit.

Brett held his side, but his face was still annoyingly expressionless.

"You don't know what you've done to me! You can't go a day without ruining my life can you?!" Eddy screamed.
He was so overwhelmed by emotion he could barely see, much less control himself.

Before he knew it he saw Brett's limp body resting against the wall. Eddy recoiled in fear. What the fuck happened? Brett was in front of him just a second ago and now he's on the opposite side of the room, unconscious.

Eddy panicked. If anyone walked in right now he was screwed. Exceptionally screwed.