Rival (part 2)

"You think I'm paying this much for a second place violinist?!" A man's voice was heard.

"I'm sorry father, I promise I-"

"You ungrateful brat! Look, you call these callouses?!"

"Sir, Mr. Quinth is waiting for you, you have a meeting," a third voice was heard.

There was a pause.

"Next time I see you, I want your fingers to bleed," the man said.

Footsteps carried to the slam of a door, Brett couldn't help but wince at the loud thud.

"Fuck..." said the voice that remained in the room, footsteps closing in on Brett until he was exposed to daylight. "Eavesdropping now are we?"

Brett frenetically shook his head no.
"I know, because you're sooo perfect you would never," Eddy scoffed. "Fucking disgusting." He added with a kick towards the small boy in his closet.

Brett didn't dare to make any move or sound.

"C'mon, you can stand! Get the fuck out!" Eddy spat.
Brett slowly stood up, wincing slightly in pain from Eddy's previous rage.

Once Brett was by the door, Eddy shoved him out the door.

"Does anybody know Eddy Chen's whereabouts?" The conductor, Mr. White asked.

A murmur was echoed through the rehearsal hall. Brett caught up on sentences like:

"He wasn't in chamber rehearsal yesterday either."
"I heard he missed classes."
"I haven't seen him in the canteen for days."

"I can check on him," Brett offered, raising his hand.
"Thank you, Brett, everyone else, let's start."

Brett carefully laid his violin down and headed out. He checked the dressing rooms, bathroom stalls and canteen. No Eddy. He decided to check in Eddy's room.

For some reason, he felt a certain urgency and started pacing up his steps up the stairs to Eddy's dorm room (which looked more like a suite if Brett remembers correctly from his faint visit).

He knocked on the wooden door. No answer. Knocked again. No reply. The uneasy feeling grew inside Brett and he checked the lock. It was open. He decided to open the door, barging in uninvited.

And thank god he did.

Because in the corner of the spacious room sat Eddy, staring blankly into with skin white as snow, almost transparent. Every part except his left hand fingers.

Blood painted the hand in contrast to the paleness.

"Eddy!" Brett yelled as he ran through the room.
Once he reached the boy his hand landed on his shoulder, causing Eddy to jolt out of his trance. Immediately, Eddy started mumbling nonsense.

Brett caught up on some things like 'I need to practice' or 'he's gonna kill me' but otherwise Eddy's words were incoherent.
"Shhh, Eddy, shhh, I'm here, I'm here, don't worry, no one's gonna hurt you," Brett said soothingly.

He impulsively wrapped his arms around the taller male in an attempt to comfort. Luckily, Eddy did not punch him down like last time. On the contrary actually. He clung onto the boy, as if he was the only thing keeping Eddy attached to earth.

They stayed like that for minutes, Eddy sobbing in Brett's arms, pressed up against the corner. Until Eddy eventually passed out in exhaustion.