Sanctuary (a/b/o) part 6 (tw: violence, suicide)

Eddy informed their kind hosts of the news and continued to nurse Brett through his heat. The couple was kind enough to give them shelter and food throughout it all and Eddy made a mental note to thank them expensively later.

Eddy was lying with a sleeping Brett on his chest when he heard the scream. It inevitably woke Brett up, luckily not in a wave of lust. The two ran out to the living room, but the sight made Eddy draw Brett behind him again.

"An eye for an eye," said the alpha with a knife in his hand.
Beneath his feat lay a woman alpha, held tightly by her mate whose broken cries echoed through the room.
"Jessica..." Brett breathed out in shock.

"That's right, you took one of ours so we took one of yours," the man said before taking a sniff that made his eyes narrow. "Whoa, that's not a scent you smell everyday." The alpha said, drooling at the sight of Brett. "And unmated too."

He had two alphas behind him who all did the same once they got a hint of Brett's scent. Eddy's eyes darkened and the urge to go feral was high.
"Eddy, please don't, they'll tear you to shreds," Brett said in a small voice, very concerned for his friend, or are they more now?

Brett decided to leave that question for later.

Eddy's eyes softened somewhat when he looked down at Brett. As he did, he failed to notice the alpha charging at them.
"Ahhh!" Brett screamed.

Eddy immediately turned around to attack the alpha back, pulling out his claws and teeth to puncture the other's skin.
"Wait Eddy don't! They'll only get more reasons to follow us!" Brett attempted to convince, but Eddy was far gone.

He tried to hold himself back from absolutely shredding the other alpha, but failed as Brett's scent filled his lungs, igniting his alpha like nothing else.

"No!" Brett screamed, but not to Eddy this time even though Eddy was the one to look up.
He shouldn't have though because the shout was actually meant as a warning for the leader alpha who was now charging towards Eddy along with his friend.

Since Eddy looked back to Brett he missed the attacks and was now bitten in his side and leg, blood spilling on the floor. He screamed in pain.
"Eddy!" Brett cried out, charging forward to help the alpha he'd grown so attached to.

But someone else got there first. One of the alphas fell limply onto Eddy, leaving the other two in shock which enabled him a window to crawl away and back to Brett.

Another alpha fell and now only the leader was left. He looked around frenetically for the culprit, but it was too late.

A kitchen knife was inserted into his back, just short enough to come out on the other side.

When the body fell, a smaller shape emerged from behind. He held the knife tightly as the limp body slid off, his eyes dark with fury.

"Cillian-" Eddy was cut off by the heartbroken male omega.
"YOU!" He said and pointed the knife at Eddy.

Brett jolted and advanced to stand in front of Eddy, but his firm arm held him back. Cillian exchanged the knife with his finger, only to calm his fellow omega down, not for the alpha's sake.

"You son of a bitch! This is all your fault! You took my Jessica away from me!" Cillian shouted his throat apart while tears poured.

Eddy felt genuinely guilty and empathized deeply with the omega. But that empathy was also the reason he stood his ground. He could only imagine the pain of loosing a mate, which was the exact reason why Eddy didn't take his punishment and stepped into that knife himself. He couldn't loose Brett. Especially not now...

"You're lucky three other alphas was here for me to stab, otherwise you would have been next!" Cillian dropped the accusing finger and fell to the floor, defeated. "There's a sanctuary... it was Jessica's life's work. A sanctuary for couples or mate who have no where else to go."

He slowly stood and walked to a drawer. He took out an information card and handed it to Eddy.

"I don't think you understand the despise I feel for you, alpha." Cillian spat. "But Jessica would've wanted this... She always saw the best in people." Cillian's eyes turned uncomfortably gloom. "Take care of Brett. I probably don't have to say this, but protect him with your life if you must."

Cillian looked over at Brett and gave a faint smile. He then turned around, and put the knife in his throat.

Eddy immediately covered Brett's eyes and stepped back at the sudden gruesome action. Somehow he couldn't blame the man though. Brett buried himself deep in Eddy's chest, wanting nothing more than for the uneasy feeling of nausea to go away.