Fantasia continuation pt.2 (Angst + fluff)

"Eddy? Is that you?"
Eddy tried to stir awake at the sound of his name. When he finally opened his eyes, he met a pair of beautiful brown ones. They had the softest curves and most dashing color mix, yet they held some sort of sorrow. A sorrow only visible from inside.

Then he flinched and scurried away when he realized he didn't recognize the boy nor his surroundings.
"W-who are you? How do you know my name?!" He asked.
"My name is Brett, I'm the one who played Tchaikovsky before," the boy answered in a soothing tone.

Eddy calmed at that, replaying the beautiful concerto in his mind. He looked around, finding himself in a grass field. His clothing was in earthy colors, soft and thick. But something was off. The grass was so, so soft, like duvet. Far away in the distance was a city, but that too was off. Blurry, flat, two dimensional.

"Where are we?" Eddy asked.
"I don't know... I think... I think we're dreaming," Brett responded.
Eddy furrowed his eyebrows. This shouldn't be possible. Sharing dreams? That only happens in fantasy and fan fiction.

"Your dream or mine?" He continued, not even knowing if it was a rational question, he'd never prepared for a situation like this.
"Yours I think, mine are... rarely this peaceful... I like this place actually," the brown eyed boy replied.

A long silence filled the air. They sat in the grass. Waiting for nothing. Hoping for nothing. This is good. This is fine. Eddy knew the quiet winds and unrealistic view was fake, yet he knew he'd choose to stay if he could. Embrace the beautiful lie. He wondered if Brett felt the same. What did he have to come back to when he woke up? A family? A job he liked? Maybe even a cat.

"You said you play the violin too, right?"
Eddy's train of thought was cut off by Brett's voice.
"Uh... yeah... it was a long time ago now though, I'm not even sure if I can play anymore... I remember loving it though."

"...But you never pursued the dream, did you?" Brett asked with an underlying tone that Eddy couldn't quite read.

Eddy shook his head, regret filling him like so many times before.

Then the boy was right in front of him.
"It's not too late Eddy, you have time but I don't. Please, promise me you won't waste it."
Eddy's brows furrowed at Brett's words. Then he started fading.
"Brett? Brett wait!"

Eddy woke up with a jolt. Thunder lit up the room for a moment. He was back in his apartment. The rain hadn't subsided throughout the entire night.

What did Brett mean by that. 'You have time but I don't'. What does that mean? Eddy threw his covers aside and flicked up his violin on the dining table. His hand trembled as he traced the case. He couldn't do it. He didn't know what scared him more, potentially hating it or loving it.

'Promise me you won't waste it'.

Brett's echoing words in his mind was enough to make him open the case and threw it onto his shoulder in one swift move. The bow in his hand shook at the trembling of his hand. His shaky breathing contrasting against the cool air.

Then he caressed the first note. G. A, D.

Sibelius violin concerto filled the room. Every note reverberating against the cold walls, the soulless interior.

Eddy couldn't stop, it was as if he wasn't playing the violin anymore but the other way around. His fingers were moving autonomously as well as his bowing hand.

Until he reached the end of the first movement, only then would the violin allow him to stop. The last note echoed throughout the room as he lifted the bow. His breathing was loud in contrast to the lack of music.

Then, a single drop of water fell on his bowing hand. Eddy observed the drop, then the ceiling from which the drop fell, then the drop again. It ran down as he tilted his hand, but was quickly exchanged by another. And another. And another.

Eddy lost track of them as they fell like natural rain from his apartment ceiling, condensing against the cool tile. Eddy closed his eyes as he tilted his head up, letting the rain fall down his face, down his forehead and cheeks.

"Why are you crying Brett?" He said softly.

A crushing silence filled his chest-

A knock at the door caused Eddy to open his eyes.
"Eddy, are you in there? You're late for work!"
Eddy looked around the room. Everything was... dry. Not a trace of the crying rain.

Eddy shook his head in disbelief. This was for sure the end of his sanity. He put down the now dry violin and hurried over to open the door. It was Michael, his friend from work.

"Sorry Michael, I'll be with you in a moment I just-"
"Eddy! Why are you all wet?"