R U S S O 27

R U S S O 27

It was a tough time for Anastasia's friends, and she noticed that when Ethan and Jocelyn hit her up about what happened at the carnival. It was like her friends were getting hurt left and right.

Jameson with his father. Carly's situation with Tyler. Gabrielle, and things with Professor Morris.

Just this morning, Gabrielle came up to her distraught as confirmation of Professor Morris termination occurred. He was let go, and a new teacher was assigned to the course for the remaining weeks of the semester. 

"And then on top of that," Anastasia says with a sigh as she looks through the notebooks on the shelves, "Teresa asked me this morning if Felix is worth a chance, and I don't know what to say because I don't know him the way you do."

Mateo nods, picking up a pack of pens. They were at the campus bookstore, getting some supplies before their next class.

"You want me to be honest?" Mateo asks, looking up at her with the rack between them.

She senses what he's about to say: "She shouldn't pursue him, should she?"

"Depending on what she wants," Mateo responded. "If she wants just sex, then go for it. Pero like, if it's a relationship, she might not get it."

He should know. They're best friends.

"But I thought he liked her?" She frowns.

Mateo states, "A guy can like a woman and still fuck around."

Anastasia's gaze softens, and she slowly grabs a black notebook. "You're right," she mumbles.

Mateo walks around the shelf, and she flinches when she feels Mateo slap her ass. She gazes up at him as he says, "But not with you, though. This is different."

In response, "A guy doesn't change his player ways, like you said."

And he for sure had his ways.

"And that's very true," he acknowledges. "But that's not the case between us," he said, cupping her chin.

She wanted to ask, So, what is it between us then? But she already had it written in her head that he'd end up saying she wanted to hear. He could say that he only wanted to be with her, yet still turn around and do him. She couldn't believe he'd drop his hoes for her.

So, instead of asking the question, she smirked.

"Mhm," she hums, removing his hand from her face. She concealed her thoughts really well, stepping away from him.

As the wind blew from her turning fast, the subtle smell of an unfamiliar cologne hit Mateo's nose.

"Come here," he beckons her back over, and she slowly walks back.

She looks at him and asks, "What?" looking confused, especially when he leans in close to inhale her scent.

His brows knit. "Is that—" he sniffs again, "men's cologne?" She stares up at him with shock written on her face. "Why do you smell like men's cologne?"

Same way if she smelled perfume on him that didn't belong to her. She'd be sniffing up and down his neck, brows knitted, and attitude activated.

"I—" she stares puzzled, trying to figure that out herself. It then hit her: "I was with Ethan. He was going through some stuff, and we hugged."

"Hm." Mateo slowly leans away, eyeing her closely.

A soft smirk forms on her face as the idea to toy with him comes to her mind. She swiftly eases away. "Or was I?" she said, wiggling her brows.