R U S S O 7

R U S S O 7

where are you? Anastasia sent to Carly.

I'm running to the buses now, Carly replied while rushing out of her dorm room.

It was game day for the football team, and even though cheerleaders weren't expected at every away game, they were informed to attend this one.

Anastasia had to get herself up early in order to curl her hair. She applied some makeup and put on lashes before ensuring she had everything packed in her book bag to head to campus. She had deodorant, hand wipes, a makeup bag, her wallet, and house keys packed in one space and made room for her cheer shoes, pom-poms, and uniform.

She kept her cheer uniform tucked away for the hour-long drive on the bus, showing her school spirit with a blue t-shirt with the letters CU across the chest until it was time to change. She wanted to be comfortable for the ride, wearing sneakers and a pair of black leggings. It was really lazy wear for the most part because being in the cheer uniforms is them 'dressing up.'

In the mist of replying to Jameson, who was sitting on the bus just a few feet from her, Anastasia felt someone slide her headphones off her head. Her brows furrowed, and she looked up to see that Mateo had pulled them off himself.

"I was kinda listening to music," Anastasia says, straightening her posture from the hunched position.

While staring up at him, she could see that he was also preparing to get on the bus with the football team, dressed in a pair of sweat shorts and a dark blue t-shirt with a gym bag draped over his shoulder.

"I know. I can hear it from a mile away," Mateo said, taking the open space beside her.

"Can I have those back?" she smiles gently at him, holding her hand out, "and by the way, someone was sitting there."

"Really?" Mateo asked with amusement, pointing between them with her headphones still in his possession, "someone was sitting here?"

She was sitting on the concrete ledge near this garden area, and the entire strip was clear as the team was either making their way to the bus, already on it, or running late.

With this warm feeling inside of her from their closeness, she asks, "you needed something?" seeing that he came over to her instead of getting on the bus with the rest of the guys.

"I came to say hi," Mateo voices with a smirk, "I can't say hi?"

She squinted her eyes at him, "what is this? What are you doing?" becoming highly suspicious of him, "you and ya friends make some bet on me or something?" starting to get up to see if his friends were looking over at them.

Mateo chuckles and grabs her hand, making her sit back down, "relajarse," relax, "who the fuck does that? That's evil."

She searched his face, starting to get a sense that maybe he did just want to talk, though she was still a little skeptical of him. She wasn't sure why he was becoming more interested in talking to her these days.

"So why are you over here, Mateo?" Anastasia asks, taking her hand from his and looking him dead in the eyes.

"I already told you. I'm over here with you to talk," Mateo says.

"About what?"

Mateo chuckles lightly, "would you stop being so suspicious of me and just allow us to have a moment, get to know each other?" 

"Why?" she shoots back.

He shrugs lightly, and the softness in his voice becomes apparent, "what's wrong with wanting to get to know more about you? I could ask around, but I think I'm grown enough to come over and talk to you."