R U S S O 26

R U S S O 26

Anastasia and Mateo weren't the only ones attending the carnival.

Ethan was going as well, but he was only showing up to meet up with Jameson and Kyrie. Third-wheeling wasn't really his thing, but he was in attendance to take photos for Jameson. Of course he'd hop on the opportunity to have someone photograph him, and knowing his friend had just purchased a Canon camera with a Sigma lens, Jameson said he'd be Ethan's first client.

Ethan was the kind of guy who liked to try many things, and while being a mascot and a college student was the longest thing he'd stayed committed to, photography was becoming his thing.

While out for the night, he figured he'd see a few familiar faces, but spotting Jocelyn wasn't expected. She was here, and she was strolling with her arm linked to another. 

Initially, Ethan thought it was Jason, but once the guy turned around from the hot dog stand, he recognized him from the football team.

It was pretty obvious what they were doing here together, and as Jocelyn caught a glimpse of Ethan out the corner of her eye, he knew there was no way to avoid her.

Especially when watching the joy spread on her face.

"Hey! Ethan!"

He was caught, and forcing a smile on his face, he made his way over.

He spared a glance at her date, sighing before greeting Jocelyn. "I see you're doing better."

She pushed her hair behind her ear as the wind blew. "Yeah. I can live my days a little better now," smiling as this was true.

The guy she was with stared at Ethan, and he asked, "Where do I know you from, dude?"

Ethan did the awkward lip tuck thing, and he said, "I'm the Jag's mascot."

Ethan, on the other hand, recognized everyone on the team. He was used to the guys not caring about his existence unless he was dancing in the suit.

The man chuckled. "No way," causing Jocelyn to squeeze his arm that was in her hand. "Sorry, it's a cool thing. Just a bit surprising." He then introduces himself, "Reid."

Ethan nodded, saying his own name.

There was this awkwardness that filled the air, and Jocelyn inhaled it.

Jocelyn says to Reid, "Go to the car." She slips her arm from his, nudging him lightly. "I'll meet you there."

They were wrapping up things anyway, and as Reid held his hot dog in aluminum foil, he nodded and gave them space. Jocelyn stood there with her eyes following him, letting him reach a distance before turning her attention back over to Ethan.

She could tell something was floating around in his mind, and as she blocked out the people yelling and laughing from the rides, she tried to discover it on her own, but he spoke before her:

"He's charming," Ethan said, stuffing one of his hands in his pocket while holding the camera in the other.

Jocelyn detects his sarcasm and says with a smile, "He's a nice guy beneath all that. We've been hanging out lately, and he's not so bad."

Ethan released a soft sigh coming from his nose and asked, "Hanging out as friends or something more?"

She takes a short inhale and says, "Uh, I don't know what to call it, but I've been forcing myself to not be in my dorm," quickly hiding her excitement about that as the sadness was evident on Ethan's face.

Hearing that this wasn't just their first 'hangout', but one of the many, made Ethan feel a certain way. Jocelyn told him that once she was ready to date again, she'd give them a chance. Clearly, it's been a change of plans on her end.