chapter thirty three

BAYLYN

Love? What a charade!!
They say the first step of moving on is acceptance, but was I really in love with a psychotic mafia boss? The same person who had forced me to get married to him and tortured me?

Impossible!!

Either I was mistaken,  or had lost my mind as well.

There's no fucking way I was in love with him. The ruthless Dante De Leone. There is no fucking way. Maybe I got a little jealous when he had another girl over, but that is because the least he could do was respect our marriage.  He had suggested it after all.

The sound of gun shots snapped me out of my thoughts.

What the fuck was going on?
Why am I even surprised,  this is a mafia Lord's house after all.

To think that I had to get used to all of this made my insides roll.
Was this the new normal?

The gun shots had been followed by silence,  so I assumed it was just the guards scaring off one of their captives or playing with their guns but it was followed by more gun shots and a scuffle outside.

Something was not right.
I slowly tiptoed to the window of my room and peeped through a small opening of my drapes.

Some of the guards had been shot, and it looked like another group had attacked them. There were black jeeps lined up outside with guards clad all in black.

And amongst them stood a short old man clad in white. He looked like he was in his late 60s. He had a cigar on his lips, and a hand in his pocket as he watched Dante's guards fall helplessly on the ground.

Dante had been attacked. And he was not even around to stop it from happening.

As though he sensed that someone was watching him, he looked up exactly where he was and saw me before I could hide. Before I closed the drapes,I saw him smiling,  a crooked, evil and ugly smile.

I was done for.

"Get her."
I heard him order someone and it was  proceeded by the sound of footsteps running which I guessed into the house.

"Mrs. De Leone. We have to go." Before I could see him, I heard his voice. One of the guards that was normally staged at my door emerged from what I assumed was a secret passage behind my dressing table.

I didn't have time to think of anything because I was dragged right into a dark passage through the secret door.

"What happened? How did they manage to attack, Dominic?"
I asked as I was being pulled further into the passage. I heard sounds of the intruders back in my room as they were ordered to search everywhere to find me.

"There was a mole. He informed them that the boss was away and had gone with most of the security.  Unfortunately,  we got to know about him, a few minutes before the attack. The boss ordered us to ensure your safety so we have to move you to a safe house until he says otherwise."

"Is he alright?"

"Who? Mr. De Leone?" He scoffed.
"The intruders are the ones that should be worried. " He said with much confidence followed by a mocking laugh.

It seemed he had a lot of confidence in Dante.

We found an exit that led us out into what looked like a tunnel that had black suvs packed and ready to set off. I was pushed into the backseat of one with Dominic taking the passenger seat in front and almost immediately,  they drove off through the secret tunnel.