A Fairy Tale Farewell

Mara P.O.V

"Hey Mia? Why do you care for me unlike mother and father?" A tiny girl looked up beside her with doleful eyes.
"Well.. I've always wanted a younger sister."  The older girl beside her gave a soft smile.
"I-is that why you risk spending so much time with me?" The girl felt bad, guilty that she was putting the older one at risk just so she could have some comfort.
"Of course, silly! I will always love you."  The older girl responded cheerfully despite the gloomy state of things surrounding them.
"How...how come you never knew about me? How come they kept me away from you? Or even...l-lock me in the basement and do all those..things to me?...W-why do they hate me?" The little girl cried to her older sister.
"Aww, Mara.. Well it first started when I was born, they were two of me. It's called having a twin. Mother and father weren't always bad people, they were caring, sweet loving parents. Of course, they had their ups and downs, but still. It was when me and our brother, Jamal were eleven when he and I started talking about wanting a little sister or brother. He asked mom and dad and they said no, we begged and begged. They finally said they'd think about it. But I guess they must of said yes if you're here, right? Haha...uh, anyways. Judging by the math I did, it must have been when mom was.. three months? Yeah somewhere around three months pregnant with you when something bad happened to Jamal. I guess his...uh h-his death must have been more than mom and dad could take. He always begged mom and dad for a little sibling, I guess you just remind them of how much he always wanted a younger sibling..."
"But how come you don't hate me then? Don't I remind you?" The little girl asked, the older sister stunned at first, before smiling warmly.
"Of course, you do. But I could never bring myself to harm you. I promise Mara, no matter what happens I will always love, and protect you. I will always care for you, look after you, anything you ever need, okay? I promise."
"Y-you promise?" The girl asked with starry eyes.
"Yep, sister's honor!" The eldest nodded endearingly.
"I love you Mia!" The little girl threw herself onto her big sister.
"I love you too, Mara." She responded, embracing the girl tightly.
"Hey, Mia? Can you sing for me like you always do?"
"Of course. Anything for you, Mara."

~

Where am I? Am-am I at home? Tied in the basement? No this place is more... comfortable, a more homey feel to it. So am I in the cave? With Kurogari? No, I feel.. warmth. Then where am I? I've felt nothing but coldness and darkness before, this warmth, it feels good in a way. Is something here with me? I can't tell, it's too dark. How am I supposed to tell where I am if there's nothing but darkness? That's right..the darkness. It's so cold, and you can never tell what's hiding in it. But this warmth has a new meaning, it's warm. I feel like, I can finally find the light through all the darkness. But I can't find anyone. I-I need to find it! I need to get out of the darkness! I-I need to, I can't... help me! Somebody help me! Please!

      My eyes snapped open, my senses flooding me entirely.

"Mara!" I hear someone call. But I thought I was dead?
"What's going on?! L-let me go!" I moved frantically in the person's arms I was in. But was finding it difficult to do so. I lifted my head to see who it was and found Natsu. My eyes widened and I looked next to me seeing Erza helping Simon, though her attention was still on me.
"Please let me go." I cried out, still a bit out of it.
"Just calm down." Natsu instructs quietly with his head down, blocking his eyes from view. I pause at his downcasted eyes, my body suddenly weighing me down with drowsiness.

    I relaxed a bit and rested back on his shoulders. I started coughing, noticing just how beat my body felt. Natsu saved me...but why? I was trapped inside of the Lacrima. He could have easily left with Erza and Simon though. I felt my tears sting slightly but pushed them back. I was lowered to the ground, Natsu going to set me down but fell back instead. I looked up at him worriedly.

"N-Natsu..! Natsu, are you alright?" He stops me from moving any further, his hands that hold my arms keeping me in place.
"Don't push yourself." He pants out, causing me to frown. My eyes droop a bit, looking up at Erza to see her smile.
"Why..? Both of you?" I asked dumbfounded. She shuts her eyes, with a small head shake.
"You didn't think we'd leave you, did you?" She asked with a cocked eyebrow.
"But you were going to do it as well... until I stopped you." I countered, confusion turning to shock at noticing the others running towards us.
"Yes...but you didn't let me. And to be honest I didn't really do anything, Natsu did all the work. It's him you should be thanking." She adds. I looked up at Natsu again.
"W-what? Why though?" I stammered utterly confused.
"Like she said, we couldn't have let you die could we?" He gave a strained grin, his own exhaust clearly catching up and hitting him strongly.
"But, promise me you won't be stupid like that again." He asked, still not letting me go. I looked away from him at his request, his grip on me tightening to get my attention again.
"Promise me!!" He yelled this time. I closed my eyes tightly, shaking my head vigorously.
"But I can't..! I'll do it again if it means saving you and the others, you guys are all I have!" He stares at me for a long moment, his wide eyes easing as he sighs, pulling me closer. My face reddens some behind the mask, the fluster feeling replaced quickly as I notice something I never thought I'd see in my life... Natsu crying. I see the tears streaming down his face while his head hangs low. I hadn't noticed my tears that fell at the mere sight of his, my hand on his cheek, completely overcome with his sadness.