Chapter 29

Chapter 29: Forget

The night grew deeper, the dim moonlight filtering through the canopy, appearing and disappearing with the shifting clouds. With a quiver strapped to my back and wooden arrows clanking within, I sprinted through the heart of the forest. My heavy boots pounded against the tall grasses and mud, while the cold wind brushed against my cheeks, sending shivers down my spine. I could hear the rhythm of my heartbeat, the way I gulped, and the trickling sweat down my temple.

It was as if everything around me had become vivid again as if I just tasted Tobias's blood. Maybe because of the adrenaline rush, nervousness, or even the anticipation of knowing the truth.

If the shadow was not Atlas, it could be one of his minions, aside from that I had successfully got Eyah's attention.

Nagpatuloy pa ako sa pagtakbo habang wala akong tigil sa paglinga sa paligid. I knew that there was a shadow at kapwa namin iyon napansin ni Claret. Kaya nang may napansin akong tumatakbo sa bandang kanan ko ay hindi ko na pinakawalan iyon.

I allowed my eyes to turn crimson. I bared my fangs and allowed my nails to transform as sharp as blades. Habang patuloy kami sa pagtakbo, ang tanging naririnig ko na lang ay ang mabibilis naming yabag at ang bawat pagtama ng nagtataasang damo, o kayang mababang mga sanga na tumatama sa aming katawan.

It was a shadow at least, but when I pulled an arrow and released it with a green light, the arrow grazed his arms— giving me the whole vision of her. The woman they called Mitchelle Thundillior.

She hissed when she finally realized that I could catch her. Muli pa sana akong magpapakawala ng pana sa kanya nang mapansin ko na higit na akong nakalalapit, dahilan kung bakit marahas kong dinambahan ang kanyang katawan.

As we rolled down, we tried to tackle and injure each other as we threw fist by fist. The mixture of mud, wet leaves, and blood was all over my body as I tried to struggle against her. Until I finally saw another huge trunk of a tree, we desperately pushed each other as we continued to roll down, but I managed to grasp onto a huge root deeply rooted in the ground, stopping us. With the force from my hand tightly holding the root, I gave her a strong kick, witnessing a sickening thud of her body against the tree. I looked up as the tree shook, leaves falling and the birds resting on it flew away.

With my aching body all over, I forced myself to get up, still strapped with my bow and arrow, and a bag filled with weapons. I pulled another arrow and pointed it directly at her as she struggled to rise on all fours, hair covering up her face, but eyes glinting red as she looked at me, hiding behind that black raven hair.

"I know that you're weak now and I can kill you."

And then she sinisterly grinned and laughed in front of me, tilting her head up with that hideous voice.

"S-Stop!"

Nangangatal na ang dalawang kamay ko at handa ko nang tamaan ang leeg ni Mitchelle nang makaramdam ako nang malamig sa leeg ko. I didn't need to further look for it to confirm that it was sharp nails that could kill me.

Higit na nangatal ang buong sistema ko nang mas humilig sa akin ang may-ari niyon at bumulong sa akin. "It's been a while, Kezalli, my little girl."

"Freya . . ."

Nang mas lalong lumakas ang pagtawa ni Mitchelle, hindi ko na nagawang umilag pa nang may punyal na sumaksak sa tiyan ko. Mitchelle Thundullior's hideous face smiled in front of me, with the black veins near her eyes, the foul smell of her mouth, her black teeth, dry skin— as if everything about her felt so filthy.

My eyes stung as she further pushed her hand with a dagger inside my stomach. My vision blurs. "Sa tingin mo ba ay magagawa mo akong saktan, Tao?"

Freya pulled my hair to tilt my head so I could see her. "You're so brave, but always this foolish."