Chapter 57

Chapter 57: Reflection

My head rested in Tobias's arms. His peaceful breathing was rhythmic and soothing, like music to my ears. When I looked at him, I couldn't help but fall in love all over again. With his eyes closed, a perfectly shaped nose, a defined jaw, silky hair with strands falling over his cheeks, and a bit swollen lip— that made me realize that I could be worshipped.

I was about to touch his lips— those lips that made me feel as if I hadn't been aware of how to breathe, but I stopped myself and allowed him to rest soundlessly.

Mas inilapit ko na lang ang labi ko sa tainga niya at bumulong ako. "I love you."

Hinayaan ko na lang ang sarili kong tumanaw sa buwan. Tobias told me that there were those days when the moon was a vampire's weakness— that it could even kill them but as years passed with Queen Leticia and priestesses working together, little by little with the blessing and spells, its effect against the vampires is getting weaker.

I snuggled closer to Tobias's chest.

The last thing I remembered that night was how the moon was so beautiful—I suddenly wished that I could reach it. I lifted one of my hands and moved it slowly as if it was dancing, the gentle touch of the filtered moonlight with the dust of glimmering glitters inside the flower felt so magical, as if my own hand was glowing. "Sleep, Love . . ."

And then Tobias reached my hand, brought it to his chest, and embraced me tightly.

My eyes wide opened when I heard a loud slap and the cry of a little girl, but the moment my blurry eyes started to get clearer, all I could see was the same bright moon— in the reflection of a running river.

I was sitting near the bank of the river. I could see my reflection on the water below the full moon, and the familiar figure of a woman at my side— a woman who looked exactly like Claret. As I quickly turned to see the woman beside me, suddenly the crows from the trees around us, in the middle of this forest flew—hurried as if desperate to escape.

I thought I'd see her again, but I was welcomed by the warmth and reflection of the blue fire. My eyes mellowed as I watched that burning blue color that I thought I'd hate for bringing me into this world.

Sinabi ko sa sarili ko na sa sandaling magkaroon ako ng pagkakataong muling makaharap ang ang asul na apoy ay sisigawan ko siya at sasabihin ko ang lahat ng galit ko. Ngunit sa halip na gawin iyon ay tanging pagtitig lang ang nagawa ko sa kanya kasabay ng paglalakad ko ng aking dalawang palad na pinagdikit ko upang doon dumapo ang apoy.

The light from the blue fire illuminated my cheeks, there was a sudden gush of the wind with the swirl of the fallen leaves around us.

I was trying to find the hatred, but all I could feel was warmth. After all, this fire brought me to the man who'd love me that I never thought I'd deserve.

"This is a dream . . ." I whispered.

I knew that she would never visit us just like how she guided Claret on her journey. It was Claret who told me that we were already on our own, and if the blue fire visited our dreams, it was because she already left her messages way before she knew that she was destined to leave this world—us.

Wala akong narinig na boses mula sa asul na apoy, sa halip ay tumayo na ako sa pagkakasalampak sa lupa at sinundan ko ito nang humiwalay sa akin— sa lugar kung saan naririnig ko ang iyak ng batang babae.

It didn't take me too much time before I found the little girl.

I remained hidden behind the tree as I watched the crying little girl, she had her old, tattered dress, her skin was filled with bruises and fresh cuts, and even her face was all swollen.