Chapter 93: Butterflies and Messy Ponytails

Third Person:

Rebecca couldn't shake the fluttering excitement in her stomach. After everything that had happened, she felt like she was walking on air. Her hair was tied back in a slightly messy ponytail, still damp from swim practice, and her school uniform was a little scruffy from the quick change she had made after getting out of the pool. But none of that mattered. All she could think about was Lane, and the fact that they had finally made up. The memory of his touch, his voice, and the way he had looked at her made her heart race.

She arrived at school much earlier than usual, the hallways nearly empty and quiet. Not quite ready to face the day, she decided to sit down against her locker, hoping the solitude would help her gather her thoughts. But no matter how hard she tried to distract herself, her mind kept drifting back to Lane. She found herself daydreaming about him, imagining all sorts of scenarios—him surprising her with a secret note in her locker, pulling her into an empty classroom for a stolen kiss, or brushing a stray strand of hair behind her ear as they whispered sweet nothings in the library. The thought made her cheeks flush.

Realizing she was getting lost in her own thoughts, Rebecca decided to pull out her book and pick up where she had left off. Reading had always been her way of escaping reality, and she hoped it would keep her mind off Lane, at least for a little while.

She became so engrossed in the story that she didn't notice the shadow looming over her book. It wasn't until the shadow shifted slightly that she looked up, her heart skipping a beat when she saw who it was.

There he was, Lane, leaning casually against the locker with both hands placed on either side of the one she was leaning against. He looked effortlessly handsome, as always. His hair was combed and slicked back, a few loose strands falling into place perfectly, giving him that irresistibly tousled look. He was wearing a crisp white shirt tucked into dark slacks, the top button of his shirt undone just enough to give him a relaxed, yet still professional, appearance. His blazer was slung over his shoulder, and he wore that infuriatingly charming smirk that always made her knees weak.

"Morning," Lane said, his voice low and teasing.

Rebecca felt her heart stutter in her chest. "Morning," she replied, trying to sound casual, but she knew she was failing miserably. She closed her book, suddenly feeling self-conscious.

"Engrossed in your book?" he asked, his eyes flicking to the cover before locking back onto hers. His gaze was intense, and it made her stomach flip.

Rebecca's breath hitched as she tilted her head up, meeting Lane's intense gaze. The way he was standing so close, practically towering over her, made her feel both trapped and thrilled at the same time. She swallowed hard, feeling the heat rise to her cheeks, and as her eyes trailed down his body, she couldn't help but notice how his pants seemed to be...well, slightly bulged from their proximity.

Oh my God, she thought, her face turning an even deeper shade of red. Did he notice that I noticed?

Lane's eyebrows shot up, clearly waiting for her to say something, but Rebecca's brain had short-circuited. She quickly snapped her eyes back up to his, hoping he hadn't caught where her gaze had wandered. But, of course, he had.

"See something you like?" he teased, a playful smirk tugging at the corner of his mouth.

Rebecca's eyes widened in horror. "I-I wasn't— I mean, I didn't—" She stammered, desperately trying to come up with a response that didn't make her sound like a complete idiot. But the more she tried to explain, the more she dug herself into a hole.

Lane chuckled softly, clearly enjoying her embarrassment. "Relax, Becca," he said, his voice low and amused. "I was just kidding."

But Rebecca was mortified. "Right, kidding. Ha ha," she mumbled, wishing the ground would just swallow her up. She forced herself to look anywhere but at him, her eyes darting to the lockers, the floor, literally anything else. "I was just, you know, distracted by the book. That's all."