Chapter 19

Amelia's POV

I walked through the hallways of the university, feeling the eyes of my peers boring into me. It was as if the heat of their gazes could scorch my skin. I kept my head down, pretending not to notice, but the whispers and the sideways glances were impossible to ignore.

The reason for this was all too clear: the scene with Aiden yesterday. Now, thanks to that spectacle, everyone was convinced there was something going on between me and the university's golden boy.

Curiosity buzzed around me like an invisible swarm of bees. Whispers about me being involved with Aiden, the campus celebrity, filled the air. I could hear snippets of conversations as I passed by—speculations, assumptions, and outright gossip. It was infuriating, but not surprising. Aiden had once again managed to add a layer of difficulty to my life, effortlessly making me the center of unwanted attention.

I took a deep breath, trying to steady my nerves. Every step felt heavy under the weight of their stares, but I knew I had to push through. This was just another challenge to face, another storm to weather, courtesy of Aiden. As I reached my classroom, I straightened my back and lifted my chin. If they wanted a show, I wasn't going to give them the satisfaction of seeing me hesitate.

I walked into the classroom, scanning the rows of seats until I spotted Maya, Rose, and Fran huddled together in our usual corner. Relief washed over me at the sight of their familiar faces. Unlike the rest of the university, they weren’t going to judge me or try to read my mind with their probing stares.

“Hey, guys,” I greeted, dropping into the seat beside them. 

Maya looked up from her notes, her expression a mix of curiosity and concern. “Amelia, what’s going on? Is everything alright?”

Rose and France turned their attention to me, their eyes full of the same unspoken questions. I took a deep breath, grateful for their genuine concern.

“Well,” I began, “you guys saw what happened yesterday in the cafeteria. Apparently, people have found something new to entertain themselves with.”

Rose rolled her eyes. “Of course they did. It’s like they live for this kind of drama.”

Fran leaned forward, lowering her voice. “So, what’s the deal with you and Aiden?”

I groaned inwardly. Even among friends, the curiosity was hard to escape. “There’s nothing going on between us. Aiden just has a knack for making things difficult. Now everyone thinks there’s some big story when really, it’s just him being himself.”

Maya reached out, squeezing my hand reassuringly. “We know you, Amelia. We’re not going to jump to conclusions like everyone else. Just hang in there.”

I smiled gratefully. “Thanks, guys. It’s just… exhausting, you know? Everywhere I go, I feel like I’m under a microscope.”

Rose nodded sympathetically. “It’ll blow over soon enough. People have short attention spans. They’ll move on to the next big thing before you know it.”

I hoped she was right. For now, I was just thankful to have friends who understood and didn’t judge. As the class began, I felt a little more at ease, surrounded by their support. No matter what rumors swirled around me, I knew I wasn’t alone in facing them.

As the class drew to a close, the professor made an announcement that caught everyone’s attention. “Don’t forget, your business proposals need to be submitted soon. Those of you participating in the upcoming business competition should use this time wisely.”