Chapter 20

After packing up my things in the library, I felt a wave of exhaustion wash over me. Dealing with Aiden was a job in itself, requiring an incredible amount of energy and patience. I sighed inwardly, grateful the day's work was finally done.

As I made my way through the hallway, searching for my friends, I spotted Rose and Jason standing together. Jason had his arm wrapped tightly around Rose, holding her close. I couldn’t see Rose’s face, but Jason leaned down and whispered something in her ear before pulling away.

Curiosity and confusion tugged at me. It had been a long time since I’d seen Jason, and the sight of him so close to Rose felt strange, almost out of place. I quickened my pace, heading towards them.

When I got closer, Rose looked up, her face flushed and her eyes depicting fear. She seemed startled, her entire demeanor radiating unease. I frowned, concern creeping into my thoughts.

"Rose?" I called out gently, hoping to not startle her further. "Are you okay?"

Rose forced a smile, but it didn’t reach her eyes. "Amelia, hi. Yeah, I’m fine."

Jason turned to face me, his expression unreadable. He nodded in acknowledgment but said nothing, his presence imposing and somewhat unsettling.

I looked back at Rose, not convinced by her reassurance. "Are you sure? You look a little... off."

Rose glanced nervously at Jason before nodding again. "Yeah, really. I just... need a moment."

Jason's eyes flicked between us, and then he stepped back, giving Rose some space. "I'll catch you later, Rose, don't be late for tonight's party." he said, his tone neutral but his eyes lingering on her for a moment too long before he walked away.

As soon as he was out of earshot, I turned to Rose, my concern deepening. "What was that about? You look terrified."

Rose shook her head, her eyes darting around as if she was still processing the interaction. "It's nothing, Amelia. Really."

"Rose," I pressed, lowering my voice. "You don’t look okay. What did Jason say to you?"

As we walked, my mind raced with questions. I remembered seeing Rose and Jason together at parties and around campus, always in similarly intimate and unsettling scenarios. Jason's presence seemed to cast a shadow over Rose, making her nervous, hesitant, and frightened. I needed to know what was going on.

"Rose," I began, my voice gentle but firm, "I can't help but notice how Jason is always so intimately close to you. You always look so nervous, hesitant, and frightened near him. What's really going on between you two?"

Rose's eyes darted away, and she shrugged, her attempt to brush off my concern painfully transparent. "It's nothing, Amelia. Just some random conversation."

I stopped walking and turned to face her, blocking her path. "Rose, you always try to change the topic," I said, my tone insistent. "But now I think it's time to tell me exactly what's going on between you two."

She sighed, her shoulders slumping as if the weight of my question was too much to bear. "It's complicated," she whispered, avoiding my gaze.

"Complicated how?" I pressed, refusing to let her deflect this time. "Rose, I'm your friend. I care about you, and I can see that something is wrong. Please, just tell me."

"Look, Rose, you need to tell me what it is," I said, my voice firm with concern.

She hesitated, her eyes darting around as if looking for an escape. But under my persistent gaze, she finally sighed, giving in. "Um, as you remember, I've already told you that Jason is Aiden's friend, as well as our cousin," she began, her voice barely above a whisper.