Chapter 24

Amelia's POV 

The hallway echoed with the sound of my own footsteps as I walked away from the confrontation with Aiden. I had been prepared for anything—anger, retaliation, a shouting match—but not for him to just leave. His departure was like a puzzle piece that didn't fit, leaving me with a sense of unease and confusion.

I leaned against the cool wall, trying to make sense of what had just happened. Aiden's face had been unreadable, his reaction muted. I had expected him to lash out, to fight back, but instead, he walked away. 

What was he thinking? Why didn't he react? My mind raced with questions, each more bewildering than the last. I replayed the encounter over and over in my head, searching for any clues or hidden meanings in his behavior. But all I could find was silence.

I made my way to the courtyard, needing fresh air to clear my head. The competition wasn't completely ruined; it was just under review. There were still slight chances that we had hope. I tried to hold onto that, but Aiden's abrupt departure made it hard to stay positive.

The whispers and gossip of other students filled the air, but I was lost in my thoughts. Aiden's behavior was so out of character. He had always been so sure of himself, so commanding. To see him walk away without a word was unsettling.

As I stood there, I couldn't help but feel a pang of frustration. We had worked hard on this project. Despite our differences, despite everything that had happened, there was a part of me that believed we could still pull through. But Aiden's silence, his withdrawal, it made me doubt everything.

I sat down on a bench, running my fingers through my hair, trying to piece together the fragments of my thoughts. What was he planning? Was he giving up? Or was there something else at play here, something I couldn't see?

My phone buzzed with a message from one of our classmates, reminding me that the review was still ongoing. There was still a chance, however slim, that we could salvage this. But Aiden's absence loomed over everything, casting a shadow of uncertainty.

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. I had to focus. I had to keep going, regardless of what Aiden did or didn't do. The competition wasn't over yet, and as confusing as his actions were, I couldn't let them distract me.

But as I sat there, the confusion lingered, a constant companion. What was Aiden up to? And why did it feel like everything had changed in that single moment when he walked away?

The uncertainty gnawed at me, but I knew I couldn't let it consume me. There was still work to be done, still a competition to win. And maybe, just maybe, in the process, I would find some answers.

As I stared at my phone, it vibrated with an incoming call. Glancing at the screen, I saw it was one of my classmates. Taking a deep breath, I answered.

“Amelia, where are you? The judges have reviewed the decision, and they’re waiting for you,” my classmate’s voice echoed with urgency.

“I’m on my way,” I replied, my heart pounding. Hanging up, I steeled myself and headed towards the hallway, each step feeling heavier than the last.

When I reached the room where the judges were gathered, I hesitated for a moment before pushing the door open. The judges looked up, their expressions a mix of sternness and expectation.

“Miss Amelia,” Judge Thompson began, his tone formal. “We’ve reviewed the situation thoroughly. Your actions and the subsequent events have been taken into account.”

I swallowed hard, my mouth dry. “And what have you decided?”

Judge Thompson exchanged a glance with his colleagues before continuing. “Given the complexity of the circumstances, we’ve decided to allow the competition to proceed under certain conditions. We believe in fairness, and while your actions were questionable, the competition itself deserves a fair resolution.”