Chapter 36

Amelia's POV

When we finally arrived home, Aiden was about to leave, but it was still pouring rain, and it was past 10 p.m. My sister suggested he stay over, much to my horror.

"Are you mad?" I snapped. "Mom and Dad won't agree to having a stranger stay over, especially when we’re alone."

"Come on, Amelia," she countered. "First of all, he helped us so much. Second, we’ll be safe in our room. And he’s not a stranger—Mom likes him so much."

Aiden shook his head, "Thank you, but I really should get going."

"No, please," my sister insisted. "It's late, and the rain is too heavy. It wouldn't be safe for you to drive."

"I appreciate the offer, but I don’t want to impose," Aiden replied, still hesitant.

"It's not an imposition at all," she pleaded. "You helped us out tonight. The least we can do is offer you a dry place to stay."

Aiden hesitated, looking from my sister to me and back again. "Alright, if you insist," he finally agreed. "But just for tonight."

"Great!" my sister beamed. "I'll set up the guest room. Make yourself at home."

I glared at her, but Aiden just smiled politely, waiting for my response. I sighed, realizing I was outnumbered and maybe even being a bit unreasonable.

"Fine," I muttered, "As you please."

My sister quickly set up the guest room, chatting away about how grateful she was. I just hoped the night would pass without any more surprises.

Once everything was settled, my sister went to the kitchen and prepared us some hot chocolate and cookies. We sat together in the living room, the warmth of the drinks and the sweet treats helping to ease the tension.

As we settled in the living room, the mood began to lighten. My sister seemed determined to make Aiden feel welcome, and soon enough, the two of them were chatting away like old friends.

"So, Aiden," my sister asked, "what's your favorite part of the city?"

He smiled, leaning back in his chair. "I’d have to say anywhere quiet preferably around nature. There's something about it, especially early in the morning, that feels almost magical."

"We got some similarities here!" she exclaimed. "Amelia, remember when we used to go to the lake as kids?"

I nodded, but Aiden quickly interjected, "You should have seen her the other day. She was so engrossed in her book that she didn't even notice me walking by."

My sister laughed. "That sounds like Amelia. Always lost in a story."

"Yeah," Aiden said, smirking slightly. "She can be quite oblivious sometimes."

I frowned. "I was just focused, that’s all."

"Sure, sure," Aiden teased. "Focused on ignoring me."

My sister giggled. "You two are hilarious. It's like watching a comedy show."

I rolled my eyes, but couldn't help a small smile. "You two act like I'm not even here."

Aiden grinned. "Sorry, Amelia. It's just so easy to talk to your sister. She’s much more agreeable."

My sister nudged him playfully. "Don't tease her too much, Aiden. She’s had a long day."

"Alright, alright," he said, raising his hands in mock surrender. "I’ll behave."

We continued talking, the rain tapping against the windows as the night grew darker. Despite my initial annoyance, I found myself relaxing a bit. Aiden's charm was undeniable, and my sister’s easy laughter was infectious.