Chapter 27

Amelia's POV

I arrive at the party a little after 7 p.m. The grand house is alive with music, laughter, and the soft glow of lights spilling out from the open windows. As I step out of the car, I take a deep breath, trying to steady my nerves. This is it. Time to face whatever Aiden has planned.

Inside, the place is buzzing with energy. People are laughing, dancing, and chatting in clusters. I scan the room for familiar faces and spot Maya and Fran near the bar. They wave me over, and I weave through the crowd to join them.

"Hey, you look amazing!" Maya says, giving me a quick hug. Fran nods in agreement, her eyes twinkling. "Ready for tonight?"

"Thanks, you guys look great too," I reply, trying to muster enthusiasm. "Yeah, I'm ready. As ready as I'll ever be."

We chat for a bit, catching up on the latest gossip and plans for the summer. But my mind keeps drifting, half-expecting Aiden to appear any moment. When he doesn't, I excuse myself to get a drink, needing something to steady my nerves.

As I head to the bar, I spot Madison in a corner, surrounded by a group of admirers. She catches my eye and smirks, her expression dripping with disdain. I ignore her, focusing on the task at hand-finding Aiden and figuring out what he's up to.

With a drink in hand, I move through the house, scanning the crowd for any sign of him. After what feels like forever, I finally spot him near the back patio, talking to a group of guys. He looks up as I approach, a faint smirk playing on his lips.

"Amelia," he says smoothly, stepping away from his friends. "Glad you could make it."

"Of course," I reply, trying to keep my tone neutral. "You said you had something to tell me."

He nods, leading me out to the patio where it's quieter. The cool evening air is a welcome relief from the heat and noise inside. We find a spot near the edge of the patio, away from prying eyes and ears.

"Okay, so what is it?" I ask, crossing my arms and looking at him expectantly.

Aiden leans against the railing, his gaze steady. "I meant what I said earlier. I want to clear things up between us. No more grudges, no more games."

I raise an eyebrow, skepticism clear on my face. "And I think a public apology is going to do that!"

He shrugs. "Whatever! I'll do."

I scoff. "You really expect me to believe that? After everything?"

"Yes," he replies simply. "Because it's the truth."

I shake my head, feeling a mix of frustration and confusion. "Why? Why do you care so much about clearing things up?"

Aiden steps closer, his expression serious. "Because I've realized something. You and I, we make a great team when we're not at each other's throats. And I don't want to waste that potential."

I search his eyes for any hint of duplicity, but all I see is sincerity. It's unsettling, to say the least. "Fine," I say finally. "I'll give you a chance. But don't think for a second that I trust you completely."

"Fair enough," he replies, a small smile tugging at his lips. "Now, let's go inside. It's almost time for the announcement."

We head back into the hall, the noise and energy of the party washing over us. As we make our way to the main room, I can't help but feel a sense of anticipation. Whatever happens next, I know it's going to be interesting.

The room quiets down as the organizers step up to announce the winners. My heart pounds in my chest. Aiden stands beside me, his presence a steadying force despite everything.