Poem #129

I've never known how to love. People write poems
about killing plants from watering them too much
but every plant I have ever had has slowly died because I forgot to water it. I forgot to give it love. I forgot that a living thing needs brightness. I can only be the darkness. I can only physically see the darkness. I can only be the one who brings the darkness into the relationship. I must be the one to kill it. I must be the one who walks away I will not be left stranded. When I love, I love heavily, but if I sense you pulling away, I will cut the string altogether. I can't be the one who's left on the corner. No one there. I have to leave first. I have to stop loving first. I have to stop giving first. I will not be the one who begs. I will not be the one left in the house. I will not be the one who haunts you. I haunt one too many people. My heart is shoved into the back of one too many people's closets. My heart has been held hostage one too many times. I will not be left to rot. I will leave first this time. This time when I feel you walk away, I will not overwater you, but instead, I will let you dry up and die. I will not let you take a piece of my love with you this time.