Chapter 35 - The Promise Of Forever

ANIKA

I was getting ready in my room when a letter from Anirudh arrived.

"Hi Anika. To tell you the truth, I don't know how I managed this past year without you. I must have become a lifeless body. I really can't live without you, Anika. Seeing you again made me feel so good. I actually started reminiscing about our childhood. How we became friends, best friends, and I didn’t even realize when I started having feelings for you. Silly me, I was afraid that telling you about my feelings might ruin our friendship. I wish I had told you sooner, Anika. But no matter, what's meant to be will be. You know, the day you came back from London, aunty told me you liked me too. If she hadn’t told me, I might never have confessed my feelings to you. But whatever happened, Anika, nothing can separate us now. We’ve grown up so fast, haven’t we? How did all these years pass? And life has been beautiful because you were with me. If you weren’t there, it wouldn’t have been the same. I’m saying all this because we are about to start a new life. A new life. Let's leave the past behind and step into the future together, Anika. Umm, sorry, Mrs. Anika Malhotra. Love you."

I replied to the letter, "Oh my God, Anirudh, this letter. I got so emotional reading it. Our life has had so many twists and turns, but in the end, true love wins. And it did, our love won. And truly, Anirudh, this life has been so beautiful, every moment special because you were with me. I love you so much. And yes, in just a little while, I will become Mrs. Malhotra."

I sent the letter to Anirudh, and then mom came in to help me get ready. I wore a red wedding outfit with heavy jewelry and heels. Anirudh likes red, so I chose red. Anirudh also wore a cream-colored sherwani. We held hands and stood behind the gate. When the gate opened, we walked to the wedding mandap hand in hand, and a beautiful song, "Daylight" by Taylor Swift, played. The moment was incredibly magical. We sat down at the mandap, and the priest started the rituals. He asked us to stand for the pheras, and we took seven rounds around the sacred fire. Then the priest declared us husband and wife in this life and for the next seven lives. Anirudh leaned towards me and said, "Anika, this means I’ll marry you again after seven lives so you can be mine for the next seven lives too."

After the ceremony, we went to our mom and other elders to seek their blessings. Later, we arrived home and went to our room.

Anirudh said, "So now I can call you Mrs. Malhotra, right?"

"Yes, you certainly can, Mr. Malhotra."

We both laughed, and Anirudh showed me all the letters and poems he had written for me when we were apart. He sat in his chair and began to write:

"In dreams I wandered, lost in endless night,
A solitary soul, devoid of light.
I dreamed of moments filled with love and grace,
A distant hope, a long-forgotten place.

This magical moment, beyond what I dared,
In my deepest dreams, my heart always spared.
Now stands before me, real and complete,
A feeling so profound, a life's heartbeat.

Finally, the pieces fall into their place,
My once incomplete life now finds its pace.
No longer do dark clouds hover above,
For you have come, my beacon of love.

Lonely nights, they haunted me so long,
Endless thoughts, a never-ending song.
I wept and wondered if we'd ever be,
Together as one, both you and me.

But today, the answer shines so clear,
Dispelling all my lingering fear.
For here you are, my dream now true,
My sleepless nights have bid adieu.

In your presence, my world is bright,
You turn my darkness into light.
No longer do I wander, lost and torn,
For in your arms, my life is reborn.

Together now, as one we'll stand,
Facing life, hand in hand.
Every moment, every breath,
Together we'll conquer, even death.

For you are my dream, my heart's delight,
Turning my shadows into radiant light.
And as I gaze into your eyes,
I see the promise of endless skies.

So here's to us, forevermore,
A love that's deep, a love that's pure.
In dreams and reality, you and I,
Together we'll soar, forever high."

Anirudh finished writing and looked up at me, his eyes filled with love and promise.

"Anika," he said softly, "our journey has been long and hard, but I believe our love has grown even stronger because of it. With you by my side, I know we can face anything that comes our way."

I nodded, feeling a sense of peace and happiness wash over me. "Yes, Anirudh. Together, we can conquer anything. I love you so much."

He took my hand in his and kissed it gently. "And I love you, Mrs. Malhotra."

As we sat there, surrounded by the warmth of our new beginning, I knew that this was just the start of our beautiful journey together. Our love story, full of twists and turns, had finally led us to this perfect moment. And with Anirudh by my side, I was ready to face whatever the future held.