Louis

Louis awakens with a start, disoriented and cloaked in a hazy fog of confusion

Louis awakens with a start, disoriented and cloaked in a hazy fog of confusion. The air feels different, lacking the biting chill of the bridge he had envisioned as his final resting place. As he blinks away the remnants of sleep, the unfamiliar surroundings of an unknown bed slowly come into focus.

The room is a tableau of unfamiliarity - walls adorned with colours he doesn't recognise, and furniture that bears no resemblance to the shadows of his past. His body, once resigned to the chill of solitude, now rests beneath foreign sheets, a tangible disconnection from the expected coldness of his imagined demise.

His mind, a jigsaw puzzle in disarray, attempts to reconcile the disparity between the anticipated embrace of eternal darkness and the surreal reality of a bed that cradles him with a strange tenderness. As he grapples with the surreal awakening, the echoes of his perceived demise linger, leaving him in a liminal space where the boundary between dream and reality remains unsettlingly blurred.

“You're awake,” he hears a voice and despite usually having a hard time to hear after several hard hits on his ears as a child, he hears the dark, raspy voice clearly and instantly is able to make out where it came from.

He turns his head into the direction and sees a man with long, brown curls and green, caring eyes looking at him with a frown on his face.

Just now it hits him. Whatever went wrong Louis doesn't seem to be dead and instead still has to live his miserable life.

“I'm not dead then?” Louis asks breathlessly, already thinking what possibly went wrong. He clearly remembers how he lost blood, much blood, before losing his consciousness and he was fairly sure he achieved what he aimed for.

The frown on the stranger's face disappears and he watches him closely while answering, way too slowly, “Depends on how you look at it. But yes, you were saved at the last second and get a second chance now.”

A surge of desperate anger courses through Louis as he learns that someone intervened, saving him from the brink of his intended oblivion. The realisation, like a bitter pill, fuels a tempest of conflicting emotions within him. Anguish and frustration intertwine, weaving a tapestry of resentment toward the unseen force that denied him the solace he sought.

The echoes of his perceived salvation ring hollow, a discordant melody in the symphony of his despair. The stolen agency over his own fate intensifies his anger, leaving him grappling with a sense of powerlessness that compounds the turmoil within. The shadows of his darkest intentions have been disrupted, and in this unwanted reprieve, a storm of resentment brews, casting a shadow over the fragile remnants of his shattered resolve.

“But how… Who… Who did this?” He whispers, fighting tears that want to come to the surface. He won't cry, not in front of this stupidly sexy stranger, no, he'll wait until he's home again. Alone. And then he'll make a plan that can't fail again.