𝑿𝑿𝑰𝑰𝑰...𝑳𝒖𝒌𝒆𝒔 𝒂 𝒍𝒊𝒂𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒂 𝑴𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒑𝒖𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒐𝒓

𖥔 ݁ ˖    ⭑       ‧₊˚ ⋅   જ⁀➴๋࣭ ⭑๋࣭ ⭑

𖥔 ݁ ˖ ⭑
‧₊˚ ⋅ જ⁀➴๋࣭ ⭑๋࣭ ⭑

The basement was so dark, and the light bulb above me flickered like it was playing a scary game. I hugged my teddy bear tight, my heart thumping like a drum in my chest.

"Daddy!" I cried, my voice tiny and scared. "Daddy, please let me out!" I banged my little fists on the big, heavy door, but nobody answered. It was so quiet, it made the dark feel even scarier.

Then, I heard a growl. It was low and mean, like the monsters in my nightmares. I turned around slowly and saw two red eyes glowing in the dark. A hellhound. It was big and scary, and it blocked the way out.

"No... please no," I whispered, my legs shaking as I backed into the cold wall. The hellhound came closer, its eyes staring right at me. I could see it wanted to hurt me.

"Please," I begged, tears rolling down my cheeks. "Please, someone help me!"

The door creaked open, and there was Daddy. For a moment, I felt safe, but then the hellhound jumped at him. Daddy didn't move, didn't try to run. He just looked at me with sad, angry eyes.

"Why didn't you save me?" he said, his voice making me feel even smaller. The hellhound bit him, and he screamed, but he kept looking at me. "I'm so disappointed in you, Elara."

"Daddy, no!" I screamed, reaching out with my tiny hands, but it was too late. The hellhound pulled him into the dark, and his screams got quieter and quieter until they were gone.

"Mommy!" I called out, my voice breaking. "Mommy, please help!" But the basement stayed quiet, and Mommy never came. I was all alone, with Daddy's sad words stuck in my head. "Why didn't you save me?"

I fell to the floor, hugging my teddy bear and crying. The dark felt like it was closing in on me, and I felt so heavy with Daddy's disappointment. I was trapped, not just in the basement, but in my own scary thoughts. And there was no way out.

I gasped awake, breathing heavily. Was that a Memory or just a nightmare?

Sitting up in bed, I sleepily rubbed my eyes when I heard a ship's whistle and a voice on the intercom—some guy with an Australian accent who sounded way too happy.

"Good morning, passengers! We'll be at sea all day today. Excellent weather for the poolside mambo party! Don't forget million-dollar bingo in the Kraken Lounge at one o'clock, and for our special guests, disemboweling practice on the Promenade!"

Annabeth frowned, "Huh?"

I was barely able to register what he said since I was only half awake. "Wha?"

Annabeth knocked on our door and stuck her head in—some of her braids were falling out of the blue bonnet. "Disemboweling practice?"

Once we were all dressed, we ventured out into the ship and were surprised to see other people. A dozen senior citizens were heading to breakfast. A dad was taking his kids to the pool for a morning swim. Crew members in crisp white uniforms strolled the deck, tipping their hats to the passengers. Nobody asked who we were. Nobody paid us much attention. But there was something wrong.