Chapter 27

Soren and I walk quietly back home, the evening air cool around us. I can't help but steal glances at the Alpha; he looks so cute with his flushed face. 

I bite my lips to hold back from smiling too wide.

When he catches me looking, his expression shifts from embarrassment to a mix of amusement and fondness. "You know," he begins, chuckling softly, "I always hated my birthday."

"It was my birthday when the Zipclaw attacked, and every year since, I dreaded the day because it's the anniversary of my parents' death. But today..." He trails off, a small smile playing on his lips.

I feel a pang of sympathy for him, realizing how difficult his birthdays must have been. "Today was different," I finish for him, understanding his unspoken sentiment.

"Yeah," Soren nods, his eyes meeting mine with warmth. "Today was the best birthday I've had in a long time."

I smile back at him, feeling a sense of relief and happiness. "Good," I say, smiling.

I reach out and grab Soren's hand, squeezing it gently and stopping him in his tracks. "Let's not go home," I tell him suddenly.

He raises his eyebrows, surprised. "Your birthday is not over yet," I continue with a mischievous grin.

Soren chuckles softly, his expression softening. "Alright," he agrees, letting me take the lead as I pull him in the opposite direction, not quite sure where we're heading.

His arm wraps around my waist, pulling me close to him, and I can't help but squeal as he lifts me off the ground. I wiggle my legs until he puts me back on the ground.

I spot a nearby park and point at it excitedly. "Let's go play in the park!" I exclaim, wiggling out of Soren's arms and dragging him toward the playground.

The park is dimly lit, with the only light coming from the street lamps and the full moon overhead.

I plop down on a swing, looking up at Soren expectantly. "Push me!" I command playfully, kicking my legs back and forth.

Soren chuckles again, shaking his head fondly at my enthusiasm. He walks over and stands behind me, gently placing his hands on my back and starting to push.

The rhythmic motion of the swing and the cool night air against my face make me feel carefree and alive. As I swing higher, I steal glances at Soren. His face is illuminated by the soft moonlight, and there's a rare ease and contentment in his expression that warms my heart.

For a moment, we forget the worries and responsibilities waiting for us, and we simply enjoy the simple joy of being together. As the hours pass, Soren and I lose ourselves in the moment.

I feel like we've been transported back to a world where joy is boundless and every moment holds the promise of a new adventure.

"Is this what it's like to have a childhood?" I wonder.

Next, we race to the slides, the metallic gleam of the playground equipment glistening under the moonlight. I climb to the top first, turning to see Soren close behind, his grin infectious as he chases after me down the twisting, winding slide.

The rush of adrenaline and the sheer thrill of the slide's descent make me squeal with glee, and I watch as Soren's laughter mingles with mine, our voices blending into a symphony of pure happiness.

We clamber up the jungle gym, navigating the intricate network of bars and platforms with the agility and enthusiasm of children on a treasure hunt.

Soren playfully pursues me, his footsteps echoing through the quiet park as he follows me up the ladders and across narrow bridges. It makes me wonder if Soren was much like this when he was younger.