Chapter 2

Wednesday.

Jiang Tao did not tell her grandmother about this blind date, using the excuse of a friend's invitation to leave at 11:00 AM.

The restaurant was chosen by Cao An, a barbecue place located in a newly opened mall in Tong City, very popular and a half-hour taxi ride away.

Sitting in the backseat, Jiang Tao reviewed her chat history with Cao An.

Cao An's tone was polite and courteous. He complimented her photo, initiated the dinner invitation, but wasn't overly enthusiastic.

Was it because he had clear boundaries or wasn't too interested in this blind date, just like her, feeling obligated by the head nurse?

Either way, Jiang Tao felt no pressure. If Cao An didn't like her, she wouldn't be disappointed. If he did, she could still decide whether to accept or reject him based on her own feelings.

The traffic was smooth, and Jiang Tao got out of the car at 11:30 AM.

They agreed to meet at 12:00 PM, so Jiang Tao first wandered around the women's clothing floor.

In early March, Tong City still required wearing down jackets, but the mall was already displaying brightly colored spring outfits.

At 11:50 AM, Cao An sent a message: I'm here, table 9, the staff will guide you.

Jiang Tao: Okay, see you soon.

She took the escalator to the barbecue restaurant's floor.

During peak dining hours, there was a long line of diners outside the barbecue restaurant.

Jiang Tao guessed Cao An might have arrived early to get a front number; otherwise, he couldn't have gotten such a forward table.

"Hello, my friend is at table 9."

"Alright, please follow me, this way."

The restaurant was bustling, with barbecue smoke rising above each table and quickly being sucked away by the exhaust fans.

Meeting a complete stranger, Jiang Tao felt somewhat nervous.

"It's just around the corner."

With the server's reminder, Jiang Tao's heartbeat quickened slightly, but she tried to smile casually.

As a nurse, Jiang Tao was good at making people feel comfortable with her smile.

However, when she turned the corner and looked ahead, she immediately met the eyes of a very intimidating-looking man in black.

He appeared somber and strong.

Jiang Tao didn't see his features clearly and was quite frightened, forgetting to smile and nervously shifting her gaze. The man sat on the left, so she looked to the right, walked a couple of steps, and then took out her phone, pretending to have something to do.

At this moment, Jiang Tao's only thought was that the man with the mafia boss aura shouldn't notice her!

"Here it is."

The server stopped and turned to Jiang Tao.

Jiang Tao looked at the table number sign on the adjacent table, looked at the man's chest across from her, and then looked at the server.

The server's eyes flickered, clearly also afraid of the male diner at table 9, and quickly left after completing the guiding task.

Jiang Tao was still in a daze!

How could it possibly be him!

"Jiang Tao?"

The man stood up, his voice deep and cold.