Chapter 19

At nine o'clock in the evening, Jiang Tao's grandmother went to bed after watching two episodes of her favorite TV drama.

Jiang Tao turned off the lights in the living room and returned to her bedroom.

Young people tend to stay up late, and going to bed around eleven was considered early for Jiang Tao.

She took a professional book from the bookshelf and settled into her small lazy chair to review some material. Every few pages, she glanced at the wall clock.

By ten o'clock, Jiang Tao started to feel sleepy. The comfortable bed nearby was too tempting, so she decided to take a short nap.

However, once she lay down, she became more awake. She decided to grab her laptop and lean against the headboard to watch some shows.

Cao An: I just got off the train.

Jiang Tao glanced at the time and asked: Is someone picking you up? Or are you taking a taxi?

Cao An: My father arranged for a driver. What are you doing?

Jiang Tao: Watching TV.

Cao An: So, you're not sleepy yet.

Jiang Tao: Does it matter?

Cao An: If you're sleepy, we won't meet tonight. I can bring the specialty products over tomorrow.

Jiang Tao was hesitant about changing her mind, but then Cao An sent another message: I'll go home to change clothes. I should be able to arrive by eleven.

Jiang Tao was stunned!

He had already been on a train for five hours, and insisting on delivering the specialty products so late at night was quite "sincere." On top of that, he was going home to change clothes first?

Isn't that too particular?

Jiang Tao recalled that every time she met Cao An, he was always very clean, not at all like the construction engineer image she had in her mind.

She continued watching her show, with the curtain on the balcony already opened about five centimeters.

The neighborhood was quite quiet at this hour, with hardly any vehicles passing by. Around 10:50 PM, bright headlights suddenly illuminated the area outside the window, and Jiang Tao couldn't help but stare at the gap in the curtain.

A black SUV parked outside her window, and then the headlights were turned off.

Jiang Tao quickly pulled the curtains closed before Cao An could notice the gap.

Still recovering from the shock, Cao An sent a message: I'm here. Is your grandmother asleep?

Jiang Tao: Yes, she's asleep. Please wait a moment.

Putting away her phone, Jiang Tao quickly tidied her hair in front of the mirror. Her face was clean since she hadn't put on makeup for tonight's meeting.

She quietly passed by her grandmother's room and only turned on the light in the entrance. She changed her shoes and gently pushed open the door, leaving it slightly ajar to avoid making any noise.

The temperature outside was just two or three degrees Celsius, so Jiang Tao wrapped her coat tightly around herself and slowly opened the unit door.

Cao An stood at a slight angle from the door, holding two flat gift bags in his left hand and a rectangular gift box in his right hand. It was too dark to see the packaging clearly.

"What kind of specialty products? There's so much."

Jiang Tao walked over, feeling somewhat relaxed due to their height difference, as she didn't have to look directly at Cao An's face, but she still felt a bit awkward about the gifts.