Chapter 6

Jiang Tao had just changed clothes in her bedroom when she received a call from Fang Rui: "Ahhhhh!"

Jiang Tao moved her phone away from her ear and waited until Fang Rui finished screaming before bringing it back. She quietly asked, "Did you see him?"

Fang Rui: "Yes, and it almost scared me to death. You owe me compensation for the mental distress!"

Jiang Tao: "You insisted on seeing him."

Fang Rui: "Honestly, I'm really worried about you now. I feel like he's not here to take you on a date but to kidnap you."

Jiang Tao felt soft-hearted and quietly defended Cao An: "He may look scary, but he's actually quite polite."

Fang Rui: "If he looked like that and wasn't polite, would you have dared to see him a second time?"

Jiang Tao smiled bitterly.

Fang Rui: "Speaking of which, it's still twenty minutes before eleven. The fact that he came so early shows he's as eager to see you as I am curious about him."

Jiang Tao glanced at the white clock on the wall, watching the long second hand ticking away, matching her heartbeat.

She hadn't even seen Cao An yet, and she was already feeling nervous.

"I'm going out now. How long should we stay?" At this moment, Jiang Tao needed encouragement from her best friend.

Fang Rui: "No, I'm afraid he'll get out of the car and see me, which would delay your date, and then he'll bury me."

Jiang Tao helplessly said, "Don't joke like that."

It seemed disrespectful to Cao An.

"Hehe, do you have a bit of a crush on him? You're considering him so much, even complaining about me, your friend of ten years, for his sake."

"You're just making things up."

"Alright, speaking seriously, has he contacted you? He's been parked for about five minutes."

Jiang Tao looked at the screen and confirmed there were no new messages.

Fang Rui: "If he really sends a message at eleven saying he's arrived, then he's quite the gentleman."

Jiang Tao: "Do you want to come to my place? I've told my grandma I'm going shopping with you."

Fang Rui: "No need to trouble yourself. I'll find somewhere to calm down. You prepare to be kidnapped."

With a few mischievous laughs, the call ended.

Jiang Tao sat on the bed and opened her WeChat chat with Cao An.

If he didn't message her and she went out twenty minutes early to "wait," would that make Cao An think she was eagerly anticipating this date?

Jiang Tao looked at herself in the mirror.

Last time, she wore light makeup. Today, she didn't even wear that, hoping her plain appearance would dampen Cao An's interest.

She was only wearing a pair of jeans and a red sporty down jacket.

She waited anxiously. A few seconds past eleven, Cao An finally messaged: I'm here.

Jiang Tao: Okay, I'll be out soon. Please wait a moment.

Grandma was watching TV in the living room. Seeing Jiang Tao's outfit, she asked curiously, "You used to dress up nicely for shopping. Why are you so casual today?"

Jiang Tao stretched out her arms: "How is this casual? This type of down jacket is very trendy this year."

Grandma: "I've seen other girls wearing spring clothes."