Chapter 36

After all the fuss that night, neither Jiang Tao nor her grandmother got wet, but Cao An was still soaked.

After changing into her slippers, Jiang Tao heard Cao An say softly, "You can take your grandmother to look around. I'll go take a shower quickly."

His tone suggested that only her grandmother was a guest here, while Jiang Tao was considered one of the homeowners, responsible for hosting the guest while Cao An was away.

Jiang Tao looked at his wet pants clinging to his legs and nodded, "Go ahead."

"Leave these for me to organize later," Cao An said, pointing at the luggage of Jiang Tao and her grandmother. After greeting her grandmother, he strode off to the master bedroom.

As soon as he left, Jiang Tao's gaze once again wandered around the decor of the apartment.

Jiang Tao had no experience with interior design and had never paid much attention to it. She couldn't describe what style Cao An's apartment was, but she felt that the furniture was simple, with smooth and soft lines that made the space feel very open. Yet, there were also refined, luxurious details that clearly showed the owner had both wealth and taste.

Perhaps because Cao An lived alone, there were few signs of daily life here. Aside from a few well-tended, vibrant green plants, Jiang Tao only noticed a single water cup on the dining table, a tissue box and a TV remote on the white oval coffee table, and two fresh-colored cushions on the L-shaped sofa, one of which was slightly askew, indicating it had been used by the owner.

Near the sofa, by the floor-to-ceiling windows, was likely a workout area, with a treadmill, an abdominal bench, and a set of dumbbells.

She imagined Cao An's chest muscles, which almost strained his shirt and suit to their limits, and recalled his comment about "only doing morning runs, and his physique being all thanks to genetics." Jiang Tao felt a small thrill of satisfaction at having uncovered a little lie from her boyfriend.

In the master bedroom, Cao An closed the door, and the curtains automatically drew shut with a remote. He immediately stripped off the ill-fitting clothes borrowed from Jiang Tao's uncle.

With no more coverings, his tall, strong body was exposed to the air, still damp from the rain. There were three light scars on his abdomen, remnants of an appendectomy.

Nothing seemed different from usual, but tonight there was a potential young female observer, which made his muscles seem a bit more defined than usual.

The owner of that body, however, appeared indifferent.

Cao An casually grabbed a set of clothes from the wardrobe and stepped into the shower, taking a quick, three-minute "combat shower."

Initially, he planned to skip drying his hair and head back out, but after catching a glimpse of himself in the mirror, he hesitated for a few seconds before plugging in the hairdryer to dry his hair. Once it was neatly combed, the fierce look on his face softened a bit.

The hum of the hairdryer could be heard from outside. Jiang Tao, who had just walked into the kitchen area, guessed that Cao An would be out soon and didn't linger.

Her grandmother, standing by the floor-to-ceiling windows, waved at her.

The reflection in the windows at night only showed the scene of the living room. It wasn't until Jiang Tao walked over that she realized the window faced Jade Lake, though the heavy rain blurred the view, making the nighttime scenery look somewhat eerie.

Her grandmother sighed, "I'm sure this view is stunning on a clear day."

Jiang Tao thought to herself, "This is a typical lake-view apartment."