Chapter 35

"Packing now is just a precaution."

"If the house really floods in the middle of the night, trying to save things will be chaotic. Xiaotao might manage, but what if Grandma gets hurt?"

"It's just for tonight. We can come back tomorrow depending on the situation. If everything's fine, we'll move back. It's no trouble."

Anyone would hesitate when suddenly invited to stay at someone else's place, but while the grandmother and granddaughter exchanged looks, silently discussing it, Cao An continued.

Jiang Tao was convinced by his second point.

Her seventy-year-old grandmother, though still healthy, had lost some of the agility she once had. Compared to her grandmother's safety, the awkwardness of inconveniencing her boyfriend of less than two months seemed insignificant.

She made the decision for her grandmother, "Let's do that."

Grandma looked at Cao An and asked, "Is it convenient for you? If not, we can just find a hotel for the night. It's no trouble."

Jiang Tao also looked over, knowing that Cao An had his own place, but there was always the possibility that his parents might be staying over.

Cao An replied, "It's convenient. There are two spare bedrooms, and they have beds, mattresses, and pillows. Just bring your own sheets and blankets, and pack a few extra sets of clothes."

Grandma agreed, "Alright, then we'll trouble you."

After all, this was her granddaughter's boyfriend, and he had kindly invited them. If she insisted on staying in a hotel, it would seem overly polite and insincere.

Once they decided to move, they didn't waste any more time. Cao An asked Jiang Tao to pack her own things while he stayed by Grandma's side to help.

The constant sound of rain made Jiang Tao anxious, giving her an inexplicable sense of urgency and unease, as if they were escaping from a disaster. If the house really did flood, how much damage would it cause? She wasn't worried about cleaning up after the water receded, but she feared that the house might be damaged so badly that they couldn't live in it anymore.

Worrying wouldn't help, so Jiang Tao pushed those thoughts aside and entered her bedroom.

It sounded simple enough, but when it came time to act, she realized how tedious the task was.

In addition to packing a suitcase to take to Cao An's house, she also had to move the items that weren't valuable but couldn't just be left where they were, like the small items in the bedside table and the miscellaneous things under the bed. Even the clothes and shoes on the lower shelves of the wardrobe needed to be moved to higher ones.

Standing there, feeling lost for a few seconds, Jiang Tao took a deep breath and walked toward the bed.

She started by folding the blanket and bedsheet.

Fortunately, it was summer, so the blanket was thin, and along with the sheet, it only took up the bottom layer of the suitcase.

Just as she placed them inside, there was a knock at the door. Jiang Tao looked up and saw Cao An surveying her bedroom.

At this moment, Cao An wasn't interested in snooping around his girlfriend's private space. He glanced around and said, "Just focus on packing your suitcase and valuable items. Once you're done, help organize the living room. I'll take care of the rest."

Jiang Tao nodded.

Cao An then went to help Grandma.

Grandma had a habit of keeping large packaging bags, like those that came with four-piece bedding sets or quilts, including some bags that Jiang Tao had brought back from college.