Chapter 25

The price of not allowing Cao An to pick her up after work was that, after Grandma left the house in the evening, Jiang Tao sat in the living room and connected to a video call with Cao An.

The awkwardness that had initially existed had mostly dissipated during Cao An's hospitalization, thanks to their mutual agreement to avoid discussing that topic. Plus, Jiang Tao had the "professional" title as a shield.

As for the video call, as long as Jiang Tao deliberately avoided Cao An's gaze, she wouldn't be as nervous as she had been during their first video call.

"Are you at home?" Jiang Tao asked, noticing he was leaning against the headboard of his bed.

Cao An replied, "I'm at my grandfather's place. An aunt is helping with the meals for now. I'll go back once I can move around freely."

Jiang Tao knew he owned a house, and at his age, it wasn't suitable for him to live with his parents if he could avoid it. "Do you usually cook for yourself?"

Cao An responded, "I make breakfast myself, have lunch at the construction site or at the company, and I usually spend the evenings with my grandfather."

Jiang Tao guessed, "Do you spend more time with your grandfather than with your parents?"

Cao An said, "They're lively enough without me."

This was true.

Jiang Tao thought about his father. From the few times she had overheard their conversations while changing Cao An's IV drip, she had already grasped their dynamic.

"Your dad seems to laugh a lot," Jiang Tao commented.

Cao An retorted, "He might as well not laugh."

Cao An considered himself more similar in character to his grandfather. Both he and his grandfather had a clear understanding of themselves; they wouldn't smile unless necessary, while his father lacked this awareness and thought of himself as friendly.

Cao An objectively evaluated his father without much expression, which made Jiang Tao find their contrasting personalities amusing.

In the video, she tilted her head and smiled, revealing a few small white teeth, looking much brighter and more lively than when she wasn't smiling.

The outwardly cold and fierce man simply observed silently.

When Jiang Tao noticed his gaze, her smile slowly faded, turning into a somewhat nervous expression. Her fair cheeks and long eyelashes fluttered, making her look innocent and easy to bully. She felt as if, with just one hand, he could easily trap her with nowhere to escape.

He had that kind of power, and the fear she felt when she first met him was not just about his face but also about this almost instinctual power that could intimidate all women, a natural instinct to avoid danger.

"You don't seem afraid of my dad," Cao An continued the previous topic, breaking the increasingly uncomfortable silence.

Jiang Tao asked in confusion, "Why do you say that?"

Cao An replied, "You're very calm in front of him, which is also why he doesn't suspect you, even though he knows I'm dating a surgical nurse."

At that time, Jiang Tao had no choice; she didn't want to create any awkwardness, so she could only pretend that her relationship with Cao An was purely professional. She treated Cao Zhengjun with the same politeness and distance she would show any regular patient's family member.

Comparing to how Cao An cared for his grandfather, Jiang Tao felt a bit worried. "What if he finds out? Will he think I'm being rude?"

Cao An's voice remained unchanged, consistently deep and calm. "How would he find out?"