Chapter 5

On Friday, Jiang Tao had a night shift, and at noon, she really went to meet her good friend Fang Rui for lunch.

She didn’t want her grandmother to worry too much, so she could only vent about Zhang Yang to Fang Rui.

Fang Rui was furious: “How can there be such a disgusting man? You should have just used a syringe to take him out back then!”

Jiang Tao: …

After saying that in anger, Fang Rui also worried for Jiang Tao: “If he just goes to the hospital to block you and talks for a bit, can you call the police for that?”

Jiang Tao: “I checked; as long as he affects my normal life, I can call the police. But at this level, the police will probably just mediate.”

Fang Rui: “If he can do something like this, he must be shameless. I’m just afraid he’ll get even more aggressive out of embarrassment.”

Jiang Tao had no appetite at all.

Seeing her worried and frowning face, Fang Rui thought back to their high school days.

Jiang Tao was good-looking but too quiet. Back then, there were boys who would approach her after class to ask questions, but their true intentions were different.

Jiang Tao would help them with problems, but if the boys showed signs of pursuing her, she would refuse.

School was relatively simple, with parents and teachers keeping a watchful eye, so boys didn’t dare go too far. But in society, when faced with someone like Zhang Yang, who disrespects a girl’s wishes and thinks he’s being romantic, Jiang Tao’s cold rejections had little deterrent effect.

Calling the police might only escalate the conflict. It would be better if there were another way to make Zhang Yang give up on his own.

“I’ll talk to my cousin and have him pretend to be your boyfriend for a while?” Fang Rui found a photo of her cousin and showed it to Jiang Tao.

Fang Rui’s cousin was about six feet tall and looked bright and cheerful, though he was quite slim. In a real fight, he probably wouldn’t be able to take on Zhang Yang.

Jiang Tao was worried about Zhang Yang getting violent; what if something happened…

“Let’s not bother with that. Besides, our head nurse introduced me to someone, and we’re having dinner this weekend.”

Fang Rui snapped her phone down, grabbing Jiang Tao’s hand with excitement: “Why didn’t you tell me? Hurry, let me see a photo! I’ll help you strategize!”

Jiang Tao felt awkward: “I don’t have a photo. The head nurse only showed me a misleading picture before our dinner on Wednesday.”

Fang Rui exclaimed, “You’ve met him once already? And now there’s a second date? This guy might have potential!”

Jiang Tao shook her head, softly explaining, “He looks too fierce. You know those gangsters you see on TV? He looks even more like a boss than they do…”

Fang Rui’s emotions were all over the place as she listened to Jiang Tao’s story, and then she thought of an idea: “This is perfect! Let’s fight fire with fire. Next time Zhang Yang blocks you, call Cao An to pick you up. A little thug facing a gangster will scare him off!”

Jiang Tao replied, “I’m going to reject him on Sunday. It wouldn’t be right to use someone like that.”

Fang Rui said, “Why reject? Try getting to know him first. If he really is like the head nurse said, just looks tough but has a good personality, having him as a boyfriend would make you feel safe.”