Chapter 31

When they returned from the flower garden, half of the tents along the shore had disappeared, as the tourists were gradually leaving.

But the sun still shone brightly, and the lake's surface glistened with ripples.

Cao An glanced at his watch and asked Jiang Tao, "How about playing for another half an hour? We can pack up at four."

Jiang Tao also felt somewhat reluctant to leave.

Cao An moved the inflatable mattress outside the tent, letting Jiang Tao sit on it to rest while he went to the water's edge to set up the fishing rod.

Jiang Tao withdrew her gaze from his tall and slender back, placing her hands behind her waist to support herself as she looked out into the distance. The vast, pure blue sky seemed endless, and she felt she could gaze at it all day without getting bored.

There was a sudden commotion by the water, and Jiang Tao turned her head to see Cao An reeling in a fishing rod, catching a small fish the size of a palm.

Jiang Tao moved closer to him.

Cao An asked, "Want to give it a try?"

Jiang Tao shook her head, watching as he cast the line back into the water.

With the fishing rod temporarily still, Cao An retrieved a deck of cards from his backpack by the tent. He sat on the mattress and called Jiang Tao over. "How about we play while we wait?"

Jiang Tao asked, "What can two people play?"

Cao An replied, "Let's play Old Maid again, and the loser answers questions."

Jiang Tao hesitated, remembering how he and his grandmother had teamed up to tease her last time.

Cao An reassured her, "Don't worry, I won't ask anything too outrageous."

Jiang Tao glared at him but eventually sat down. They removed the Joker and the Ace of Hearts, using only half of the remaining cards to shorten each round of drawing.

In the decisive moment of the first round, as Cao An was about to draw the Nine of Clubs from her hand, leaving her with just the Ace of Hearts, Jiang Tao instinctively tightened her grip on the Nine of Clubs.

Cao An glanced at her and, taking pity, chose to draw the Ace of Hearts instead.

Now, it was Jiang Tao's turn to draw from his three remaining cards, with an equal chance of picking the Joker, the Ace of Hearts, or another Nine.

Jiang Tao tentatively reached for a card, looking at Cao An's expression for any clues.

His stern face remained as steady as a mask, revealing no hint of emotion.

Jiang Tao randomly drew a card and surprisingly got the nine!

She smiled with her eyes squinting, put down the two nines, and looked gleeful.

Cao An remained calm. "Ask away."

Jiang Tao thought for a moment and asked, "Since we've known each other for a while, what do you think are my flaws? You have to mention at least one."

She was curious about how Cao An perceived her.

Cao An replied, "I can't answer that because I really haven't noticed any flaws in you yet."

Jiang Tao didn't believe him.

Cao An tried, "Thin-skinned? But I don't see that as a flaw; in fact, I quite li..."

"Shut up," Jiang Tao interrupted him sulkily and lowered her head to shuffle the cards.

Cao An looked at his girlfriend's flushed face and said, "How about I talk about my flaws instead?"