Chapter 13

Having a well-regarded match made a difference in Cao An's approach. For instance, before, he would pick up Jiang Tao at the east gate of the community, but after getting Grandma's approval, he parked directly under Building 5 to pick her up for her night shift.

At seven in the evening, there were still many people moving about in the community. The large black SUV attracted quite a few curious glances.

Grandma was heading to the square, dressed in red, and set out with Jiang Tao.

As they opened the door, they noticed their neighbor from apartment 102 also coming out. Grandma Li was walking ahead with her three-year-old grandson, while Grandpa Li was locking the door behind them.

Having been neighbors for two or three decades, Jiang Tao greeted them with a smile.

Grandma Li responded with a grin, "Are you going to the square with your grandma to dance?"

Jiang Tao replied, "No, I'm heading to work the night shift."

Grandma Li frowned, showing concern, "Your job as a nurse is great, but the night shifts are too tiring. While you're young, you can manage, but it's tough when you get older. With your high scores back then, you should have studied to be a teacher, accountant, or lawyer. Those jobs are much easier than working in a hospital."

Grandma: "If everyone thought like you, hospitals might as well close down."

Grandma Li replied, "Oh, you're not listening again. I'm only thinking about what's best for Xiao Tao. Since university is over, you should try for a civil servant position while you're still young. Xiao Shuo's mom had such poor grades in college, but she managed to get a civil servant job and now works from nine to five. Much easier."

Grandma: "And yet, she still has to leave Xiao Shuo with you two?"

Grandpa Li chuckled, "Well, they're expecting a second child. Young people need to earn money and raise kids. We old folks need to help out. Come on, Grandpa and Grandma are taking Xiao Shuo to the square to play!"

The Li family moved on ahead, and Grandma gave a bemused smile.

Jiang Tao found the situation dull. Since her return, she often heard the Li couple boasting to Grandma about their son, daughter-in-law, and even grandson, their words dripping with pride.

Fortunately, Grandma wasn't jealous. Otherwise, she'd be pushing Jiang Tao to get married to make up for it.

"Geez, you scared me!"

Grandma Li was startled and took a big step to the side, clutching her chest and pulling her grandson away as if escaping from something.

Grandma threw Jiang Tao a knowing glance.

Jiang Tao looked away.

Outside the building, Jiang Tao glanced to the right and saw Cao An standing next to his large black SUV, dressed in black, and looking stern—a man not to be trifled with.

His stern expression softened to a more intimidating "grimace" when he saw Grandma.

Mr. and Mrs. Li stood not far off, both wary of Cao An and curious about who this man was. The entire Building 5 was well-known, and the Li couple was waiting to find out more.

"Cao An, have you eaten?" Grandma asked casually as she approached him with a smile.

Cao An looked down at her, "I ate at home before coming over."

Grandma: "Is it far from your place? Isn't it troublesome to pick up and drop off Xiao Tao like this?"

Cao An: "It's fine. I drive myself, so it's convenient to go anywhere."