Chapter 21

"It's the weekend and the weather is so nice. Didn't Cao An ask you out?"

At Jade Lake Park, Fang Rui linked arms with Jiang Tao, winking suggestively.

Jiang Tao replied, "He only asks me out on days when I have a full day off. I have a night shift tonight."

"He's really considerate. So, has there been any progress this week?"

"It's pretty much the same as before. He picks me up and drops me off twice a day, and we chat a little during the rides."

Fang Rui said, "That can't be! Last weekend he even helped your grandma with the fish. I thought you two would have made significant progress by now, at least held hands or something."

Jiang Tao replied, "It's not that fast."

Fang Rui said, "Fast? If you don't count your first meal together, it's already been a month since you agreed to give him a chance. Some guys get bold after just three meals. Given how assertive Cao An is, and the fact that he's already won over your grandma, I thought he'd be more daring with you. With your small frame, he'd have you pinned with one move."

Jiang Tao felt anxious at her words, but fortunately...

"He's not that kind of person."

Despite Cao An's intimidating appearance, his words and actions were always very polite. He never said anything inappropriate, nor did he try to make physical contact. In fact, if it weren't for his insistence on driving her to and from work, their relationship, based on their weekly text exchanges, which were limited to "I'm here" and "Okay, see you later," would resemble that of a taxi driver and a passenger rather than somewhat familiar dates.

Fang Rui chuckled mischievously and pulled her to a quieter spot to talk. "If Cao An isn't that kind of person, what if he suddenly kisses you tonight? Would you be upset?"

Jiang Tao blushed and tried to shake off her friend's arm. "Why do you always think about these things?"

Fang Rui clung to her like a band-aid. "I'm just trying to help you analyze your feelings."

Jiang Tao covered her ears to avoid the conversation.

Fang Rui said, "Even if you don't say it, I can tell from your reaction. Hehe!"

Jiang Tao ran to the lake to watch the water birds.

Fang Rui said, "Hey, only people with partners watch mandarin ducks. I, being single, can't stand this."

Jiang Tao: ...

Those are just a pair of wild ducks, not mandarin ducks!

In the afternoon, Jiang Tao slept for more than four hours. She got up at 5:30 and had dinner with her grandma.

At seven o'clock, Cao An arrived on time outside the window. By this time, her grandma had already gone out. As the weather warmed up, the enthusiasm for square dancing among the elderly was higher.

Jiang Tao locked the door.

Cao An stood in front of his black SUV. When he saw her, he walked around to open the passenger door.

He often did this, but tonight, as Jiang Tao walked toward him, Fang Rui's teasing suddenly popped into her mind. She understood what "wall slam" meant, but what was "car slam"? Pinning someone against the car?

With Cao An's SUV being as tall as him, standing in front of Jiang Tao, it did feel like a wall.

Jiang Tao believed she didn't let these chaotic thoughts show on her face.