Chapter 28

All the ingredients for tonight's meal were bought by Cao An. He planned to make four dishes.

The kelp and pork rib soup was almost done, and the meatballs for the boiled meatballs were still being shaped. The ingredients for braised tofu fish and stir-fried garlic scapes with meat were also neatly cut and arranged on plates, ready to be cooked once Jiang Tao woke up.

So, after washing his hands and finishing their whispered conversation, Cao An did not leave the kitchen as Jiang Tao had hoped. Instead, he went to the wok, lit the stove, and poured oil with the ease of someone who often cooks.

Jiang Tao looked at the dishes and asked, "What will grandma eat?"

Cao An replied, "I steamed some egg custard and mantou (steamed buns). The mantou can be soaked in the pork rib soup, and the tofu fish is soft enough for her to eat."

Jiang Tao averted her gaze.

With staple foods, egg custard, fish, and soup, she realized she wouldn't have been as thorough as Cao An if she had been the one to buy the groceries.

She knew that people don't do things without reason. Cao An took care of her grandmother because he wanted to pursue her, but there's a difference between perfunctory care and thoughtful care. The fact that Cao An went to such lengths showed he was inherently a considerate and respectful person.

With the meatballs ready, one stove was for the soup, and the other was for stir-frying. Seeing the spatula in Cao An's hand, Jiang Tao said, "Let me do it. You should rest."

Cao An replied, "I want grandma to taste my cooking."

Jiang Tao couldn't refuse such a reason.

Cao An, holding the spatula in one hand, opened the nearby glass door and said, "There's a lot of smoke in here. You should go keep grandma company."

Since he was a guest, Jiang Tao felt uncomfortable leaving everything to him.

Cao An looked at her and said, "Then close the door, and we can talk some more?"

Jiang Tao: ...

White steam fought to escape through the steam hole in the soup pot lid, and Jiang Tao felt the urge to escape too. She quickly left the kitchen.

Cao An glanced at her retreating figure, smiled, and continued cooking.

Grandma, sitting on the sofa, winked at Jiang Tao.

Still upset with her grandma for hiding her toothache, Jiang Tao walked over and unceremoniously said, "Open your mouth. Let me take a look."

Grandma replied, "What's there to see? Aren't you disgusted?"

Jiang Tao said, "I'm a nurse. There's no wound I haven't seen."

She then took out her phone and turned on the flashlight.

Grandma had no choice but to tilt her head back and open her mouth.

As Jiang Tao examined her, she said, "From now on, I'll give you regular dental check-ups, and you can't skip your annual physicals anymore."

Grandma mumbled, "Waste of money."

Jiang Tao didn't think it was a waste at all. Besides being her grandma, she was also like her dad and mom. Jiang Tao hoped her grandma would be healthy and live to be a hundred years old.

The dishes were all ready, half filling the dining table, and Cao An even poured a cool, refreshing glass of yogurt for Grandma.

Grandma asked, "Have you called home? What excuse did you use for not going home for dinner, considering you're sick?"