Chapter 18

Cao An asked Jiang Tao what time would be convenient for a video call in the evening. Jiang Tao replied at seven o'clock. Earlier than that, her grandmother hadn't left yet; later than that, her grandmother would be back.

Actually, she wanted to say: "Let's skip the video call; messaging is fine."

Nurse Xiaotao sighed at the ceiling.

In reality, she could still avoid direct eye contact with Cao An due to their height difference. The phone's video camera was so small that they could only face each other.

Jiang Tao vaguely sensed that beneath Cao An's politeness lay a hint of assertiveness. He was gradually guiding their relationship to a deeper level.

That was normal too. He was pursuing her, and unless Jiang Tao felt something, he could only proceed in this manner.

That's how blind dates were—two strangers getting to know each other, increasing their understanding as they interacted. If they gained positive emotions, they would continue; otherwise, they could suggest ending it.

Since Jiang Tao agreed to give it a try with Cao An, she couldn't just avoid certain questions, so she didn't express her true feelings.

She also wondered whether she would gradually resist Cao An's slow offensive or gradually accept him as a person.

As the time approached, Jiang Tao eventually chose to video call him in the living room. There were fruits arranged on the coffee table. After connecting, she would place her phone on the coffee table, keeping a distance to reduce pressure, and casually distract herself by holding a fruit plate and eating fruits.

At three minutes past seven, Cao An sent a message: "Are you available now?"

Jiang Tao: "Yes, I'm watching TV."

A few seconds later, Cao An's video call came through.

Because the living room was too quiet, the notification sound of the video call seemed very abrupt, making Jiang Tao's heart beat faster, as if the strictest teacher in high school suddenly called her to answer a difficult question she didn't know.

Jiang Tao gritted her teeth, propped her phone against a tissue box, smiled, and pressed the confirm button while squatting in front of the coffee table.

Connected, Cao An's upper body appeared on the screen, with neatly cut short hair, wearing a black sweater. Perhaps due to the lighting, he looked a bit paler tonight, but this slight change did not affect his dominant aura. As his narrow eyes looked over, Jiang Tao felt that danger of being targeted by a fierce wolf as prey again, or perhaps it wasn't dangerous, just too stimulating, so she felt like fleeing.

She quickly looked behind him: "Are you in a hotel?"

Cao An: "Yes, arranged by the association, one room for two people."

The camera shook, shifting to the rear view. In a moderately sized hotel room, there were two single beds—one empty, and a chubby uncle squatting next to the other, packing a suitcase.

Cao An's voice came through: "This is Uncle Sun, sharing the room with me. He's also from our city."

Uncle Sun looked up, smiled, and waved towards them: "Cao An's date, right? Don't worry, I'll keep an eye on Cao An for you these days!"

Jiang Tao: ...

Cao An adjusted the camera back, looking at Jiang Tao, who had an awkward and flushed face: "Let's hang up first, I'll find another place outside, and call you back in a while."

Jiang Tao nodded awkwardly.

Blind date, date, completely two different meanings!

She still felt awkward about the brief video call just now, and Cao An called again.