Chapter 9

Jiang Tao sat cross-legged on the sofa, her phone propped against the armrest as she video chatted with Fang Rui.

The conversation naturally focused on "Cao An."

Fang Rui said, "Stuffing the roses down Zhang Yang's collar—Cao An was so cool! I really want to copy that footage from your hospital's security cameras!"

Jiang Tao replied, "The surveillance room won't entertain that request."

Fang Rui continued, "Seriously, don't you feel particularly secure with a boyfriend like Cao An?"

Jiang Tao said, "It depends on the situation. It's reassuring when he intimidates outsiders, but if he gets angry with you, how secure can you really feel?"

Fang Rui shivered at the thought and could understand Jiang Tao's feelings better. "That's a point. My parents, who have a good relationship, still argue sometimes. If you end up with Cao An, with your timid nature, you'd probably end up doing whatever he says. But he seems to really like you. Even after being rejected, he's still offering to pick you up for a week. It's clear he hasn't given up."

Jiang Tao said, "Whatever. I've made my stance clear. After this week, we won't have any further contact."

At least that way, she wouldn't have any lingering burdens.

Fang Rui said, "I think it's unlikely. He seems to have a lot of tricks up his sleeve—like a scheming type."

As Jiang Tao was pondering Cao An's behavior, the head nurse suddenly called, interrupting the video chat.

Jiang Tao answered the phone.

Wang Haiyan said, "Xiao Tao, you wanted to talk to me after work. What's up?"

Jiang Tao said, "It's about the blind date, but I've already made my stance clear with Cao An, so you don't need to pass on any messages."

Wang Haiyan said, "No chance, huh? You're quite brave to speak directly. Usually, the women just let the introducer handle things."

Jiang Tao asked quietly, "Do you think Cao An will be upset?"

Wang Haiyan replied, "No, no. He has a good temper. If the woman says she's not interested, he won't press the issue. He never continues to pursue after being rejected."

Jiang Tao was taken aback.

It seemed like Cao An was different with her?

But given how polite he was, his offer to continue picking her up for another week might indeed be just a way to help her fully resolve Zhang Yang's problem. Once that's done, he might treat her just like he did with other blind dates, cutting off contact.

After finishing her conversation with Jiang Tao, Wang Haiyan immediately called Cao An.

Cao An was walking his grandfather after dinner and answered the phone without avoiding it.

Wang Haiyan asked, "Did you see Zhang Yang when you picked up Xiao Tao this evening?"

Cao An replied, "Yes, it's been dealt with. But he might not have given up, so I'll continue to pick her up for another week."

Wang Haiyan was puzzled. "You've done Xiao Tao a big favor, but she didn't seem grateful at all?"

It was surprising that such a seemingly sweet nurse would refuse after such an act of chivalry.

Cao An said, "It's fine. I don't want her to feel like she owes me a favor and be forced to continue seeing me."

Wang Haiyan said, "Alright, you young people have your own ideas. I won't worry about it. I've introduced Xiao Tao to you, so my job is done. Whether it works out or not depends on you."