Chapter 4

Heping Community is an old community, with six-story slab buildings.

Jiang Tao's grandmother's house is in Building 5, Room 101. As Jiang Tao was about to insert the key, the door opened from the inside.

Her grandmother, holding a bag of trash, was surprised to see her: "Why are you back so early?"

Jiang Tao had already thought of an excuse before setting off: "It's Wednesday, Xiao Rui has to rush to work after dinner. Let me take that; you go back inside."

Fang Rui was her best friend from high school and returned to work in Tong City at a bank two years ago. She's also a key target of family and friends urging her to get married.

As expected, her grandmother didn't doubt her and pushed Jiang Tao's hand away: "It's just a few steps. You go inside and don't dirty your white clothes."

With that, her grandmother took the trash and went out. Despite being just over five feet tall, slightly chubby, with a rosy complexion and stylish chestnut-colored hair, she looked younger than her age by a decade and was a core member of the community's square dance group.

Jiang Tao went inside.

The kitchen still smelled of food, and there was enough chicken soup for three left in the pot.

Jiang Tao had eaten a lot for lunch. With Cao An being so quiet, she had to keep eating to avoid awkwardness—grilled meat, pumpkin porridge, fruit, milk tea...

She covered the pot and sat on the sofa, gazing out the window.

This weekend, she had to have another meal with Cao An.

According to the head nurse, the Cao family was wealthy. Cao An likely wasn't insisting on another meal just to get back the cost. He probably had some interest in her.

Jiang Tao touched her face.

Fang Rui had once teased her, saying that men are visual creatures. With her looks, she would have suitors even if she had to care for three younger brothers.

That was an exaggeration, but the attitude of her previous six blind dates did prove that her face was quite attractive.

Jiang Tao wasn't one to drag things out and had decisively rejected the previous six.

This time, because she suggested splitting the bill, it gave Cao An the chance to ask for a return meal. So, for Sunday's meeting, Jiang Tao would not make the same mistake again. She wouldn't agree to anything verbally and would refuse Cao An later through the head nurse.

Having sorted out her thoughts, Jiang Tao pushed Cao An's imposing face out of her mind, no longer troubled by this doomed blind date.

---

Head Nurse Wang Haiyan left work relatively early today. Sitting in her car, she didn't rush off but called Cao An first.

After three rings, a deep, resonant voice answered: "Aunt."

Wang Haiyan: "Hey, I just got off work. Are you busy?"

Cao An: "Not busy, already home."

Wang Haiyan couldn't help but laugh: "How was lunch with Xiao Tao? How did it go?"

"It depends on what she thinks."

Wang Haiyan immediately picked up on the deeper meaning and was delighted: "Oh, so the iron tree has bloomed? Finally found a girl you like? I remember before when I set you up on dates, you'd say it was okay, but the girls feared you'd reject them. You never tried to keep them, meaning you weren't interested in them. Today, your response has changed."