Chapter 32

On a scorching summer day, the underground parking lot was hot and stuffy. As soon as they got out of the car, Fang Rui grabbed Jiang Tao and ran until they reached the air-conditioned elevator lobby of the mall.

"It's so hot! Let's get some iced milk tea first."

"Didn't you say you were going to lose weight?"

Jiang Tao laughed as she poked her best friend's sore spot. However, she didn't think Fang Rui was fat at all—just a bit fuller, with a round, apple-shaped face.

Fang Rui pretended to pinch her.

The two friends squeezed into the elevator, arms linked, and headed to the milk tea shop on the third floor.

While waiting for their drinks in the shop, Fang Rui brought up Cao An. "Isn't he supposed to be back soon?"

The Cao family was bidding for the construction of a bridge across a lake in a neighboring city, and Cao An had been busy with that for the past few days. Cao An's father had even said that if Cao An couldn't secure the project, he shouldn't bother coming back.

Of course, Cao An's father's words didn't count for much.

Fang Rui winked and said, "Your Cao An's business empire is expanding. Soon, I'll have to call you Mrs. Cao."

Jiang Tao replied, "Don't. We just started dating. Who knows what will happen in the future?"

Fang Rui said, "Come on. Every time he's in Tong City, he picks you up and drops you off every single day. I can only meet you when he's out of town. I'm telling you, his heart is completely attached to you. You're definitely going to be Mrs. Cao."

Jiang Tao thought back to May. She and Cao An had indeed seen each other almost every day.

Fang Rui leaned in closer and whispered, "So, how's it going? Still haven't had your first kiss?"

Jiang Tao found it amusing. "How many times have you asked this?"

Fang Rui said, "Who can blame me? Your Cao An is taking forever."

Jiang Tao looked at the milk tea baristas behind the counter, smiling.

Fang Rui was incredulous. "No way, he still hasn't made a move?"

Jiang Tao was genuinely puzzled and seriously discussed it with her best friend. "Isn't this normal? After all, we've only been official for just over a month."

Fang Rui blinked, her fair face suddenly turning red—clearly, she had a story to tell!

Under Jiang Tao's questioning, Fang Rui had to confess, "Actually, I also got into a relationship last month."

Finally, it was Jiang Tao's turn to scrutinize her. "Last month! And you didn't tell me!"

Fang Rui gestured for her to keep her voice down and half-sweetly, half-helplessly said, "I was embarrassed. I would have told you right away if it were a stranger. The thing is, you know this person too."

Jiang Tao's mind raced. "Who? A high school friend?"

They had studied in different cities for university, so the mutual acquaintances they had in their hometown were mostly from high school.

Fang Rui had prepared for this confession and opened a high school graduation photo, asking Jiang Tao to guess which boy from the two rows of high school boys was her new boyfriend.

Jiang Tao thought her best friend had good taste and guessed the top five best-looking boys.

Fang Rui denied each one, then moved her finger to a boy with a buzz cut in the last row.