Chapter 40

As soon as Cao An finished frying a dish, Jiang Tao brought it out. By the time Cao An washed his hands and sat down, the bowls and chopsticks were already set.

Even though the air conditioning was on, a thin layer of sweat was still beading on his forehead after being busy for so long.

He glanced at Jiang Tao, raised his glass of water, and drank several mouthfuls.

Jiang Tao could hear him swallowing.

Just as she was about to say something when he put down his glass, she saw Cao An pick up a fruit fork resting on the edge of the plate and stab a piece of peach flesh.

As if sensing her gaze, he looked over while eating the peach.

It was such a normal action, but Jiang Tao's eyelashes fluttered, and she forgot what she wanted to say, picking up her chopsticks to focus on her food instead.

"Are you afraid to live alone with me?" Cao An initiated the conversation.

Jiang Tao was taken aback.

"What I mean is, if you have any concerns, I can stay at my grandpa's place for a while. I have my own room and clothes there, so I wouldn't need to pack anything."

Jiang Tao lowered her eyes, poking at the rice in her bowl with her chopsticks. "Then wouldn't I be taking over your place? If I really had concerns, I should just rent a place myself."

Cao An replied, "Got it. Since you trust me, let's not be polite with each other and officially be roommates for a few months."

Jiang Tao thought of something. "Does your grandpa know I'm here?"

Cao An said, "I didn't tell him. If he knew, he might really make me kneel and swear not to bully you."

Hearing that joke again made Jiang Tao's face flush.

"Don't worry, I'm just like my grandpa; I'm a decent person."

Jiang Tao's face turned even redder, and she glared at him in annoyance.

But she felt relieved that he didn't say anything. She didn't want her boyfriend's elder to misunderstand that their relationship had progressed to the stage of "living together." If this were happening in Beijing, she wouldn't tell her grandmother either.

Cao An picked up another piece of peach, and seeing her blushing and focused on eating, he used the serving chopsticks to give her the best part of the braised fish. He changed the topic, "How about we switch? You take the master bedroom, and I'll take the second bedroom? I usually stay in the living room, so you might feel embarrassed if you come out to shower, or if you hear me moving around while you're showering, you might suspect my character."

In a couple, the topic of "showering" was always full of ambiguity, yet it was an unavoidable detail of life when living together.

Jiang Tao imagined those two scenarios that could easily happen and chose to accept his suggestion. "Okay, I guess I'm putting you in an awkward position as the host."

Cao An replied, "As long as the hostess is satisfied."

Jiang Tao: ...

After being teased by him so many times, Jiang Tao realized he was doing it on purpose, so she was no longer so nervous. She pretended not to understand and focused on eating.

After dinner, they put the bowls and chopsticks in the dishwasher and each went to tidy up their rooms.

Most of Jiang Tao's autumn and winter clothes were in her suitcase and didn't need to be moved, while her summer clothes were easy to transfer.