Chapter 27

"I envy you. When I was young, your grandfather never even gave me a single blade of grass," Jiang Tao's grandmother said as she entered her room, admiring the large bouquet of roses.

These days, roses are often seen as cliché, but if they come from someone you like, even the most common flowers are delightful. Besides, roses are inherently beautiful.

Jiang Tao replied, "Flowers weren't popular back then, were they?"

Grandmother responded, "Of course they were. Rich people still gave them, and even those without money would pick wildflowers if they had the heart. Your grandfather just wasn't born with a romantic bone in his body."

Jiang Tao laughed, "Then why did you end up with Grandpa?"

Grandmother replied, "I was foolish. I'd never been in a relationship before. He said a few sweet words and I was hooked. He seemed respectable, but after we got married and lived together, I realized he had so many bad habits. Smoking, drinking—don't get me started. Anyway, the life lesson your grandfather left me is that when choosing a man, you can't just look at his face. His words, actions, personality, and habits are what's most important because you'll be dealing with those for a lifetime."

Jiang Tao understood, "You're speaking on Cao An's behalf again."

Grandmother said, "Not necessarily. You two haven't known each other long. I don't know much about him either. You have to observe him slowly to see what kind of person he really is."

Jiang Tao looked at the large bouquet of flowers.

Grandmother said, "Quick, take some photos. After that, I'll take them apart and put them in vases so we can enjoy them for a few more days. Otherwise, they'll go to waste."

Jiang Tao remembered seeing girls in the community occasionally throwing away bouquets along with the trash.

While her grandmother went to prepare the vases, Jiang Tao found the best spot in her room for taking photos. She arranged the first bouquet of flowers she received for her first romance and took pictures from different angles.

After the photos were taken, the two of them worked together to arrange the flowers. They placed two vases in the living room, one on each of her bedside tables, and another in her grandmother's room and the bathroom. Even then, each vase was full to the brim.

The sunlight streamed in, adding a warm afternoon ambiance to the bouquet on the south-facing bedside table.

Jiang Tao took another photo before drawing the curtains for her nap.

Cao An arrived on time to pick her up after dinner.

The sun had just set, and feather-like clouds floated in the distant western sky. The dim light eased her daytime nerves. Jiang Tao smiled at him as she walked out, then naturally looked away and got into the car.

"Your wound hasn't healed yet, and you're already driving. Did your mom say anything?"

Jiang Tao still felt that Cao An's current physical condition wasn't suitable for going out.

Cao An looked over and asked, "Did my great-aunt tell you my age?"

Jiang Tao, automatically ignoring his fierce face and only hearing his usual polite tone, thought he was asking seriously and nodded, "Yes, she said you're thirty."

Cao An replied, "Since I was in middle school, they stopped interfering with where I go."

Jiang Tao: ...

If they didn't interfere, just say so directly. Why take a roundabout way?

She secretly glared at him.