¹²

dabi was just looking at you, without knowing how to respond

at that moment he realized; he knew so much and, yet, so little about you.

"don't tell me you didn't know!"

"i actually didn't"

"guess you didn't do a really good job, stalker"

"the rest of the league searched you up and found stuff about you. yet, i didn't want to hear them from anyone's lips but yours"

"didn't know you were a romantic" you teased.

"shut up. i'm not"

"so, do you want me to tell you?"

"do you want me to know?"

"you're being awfully kind, right now" you said, raising an eyebrow.

"i'm not a monster, y/n. i know people have topics they don't want to talk about"

"from the way you said that... sounds like you have, too" you quietly commented.

"we're not talking about me, today, though"

you sighed, before resting your forehead on his shoulder.

"nine years ago, both me and my parents were captured by all for one"

"when you were fifteen?"

"wow, you know my age?" you asked, laughing softly.

"saw your id one day"

"surprised you didn't forget"

"couldn't really. we were born the same year"

"anyways, back to what you were saying" he added, slightly slapping your ass.

you tightened your arms around his neck, burying your face there. you tried to focus all your attention on the shapes he was tracing on the small of your back— in attempts to calm down your fast beating heart.

"he was targeting my parents because they had powerful quirks. yet, he captured me, too, without knowing i didn't have any"

"he kept us in the same room for around a month, and he was trying to get my parents to work with him. they kept on refusing, and he kept on insisting... until he got bored"

"so, he stole their quirks and after that he killed them cause they weren't obedient enough"

hot tears were rolling down your cheeks as you recalled the memories again. dabi was holding you close, his fingers playing with your hair.

"what about you? you were there when he did it?"

you slowly nodded your head, giving him an answer.

"did he keep you there after this?"

"yes. for just a couple of days. he only gave up on me when he confirmed that i wasn't lying about not having a quirk"

he didn't know what to say or do. he never expected you had such a traumatic past. you were always so full of energy and happy.

but the girl he was holding in his arms, at that moment, was the exact opposite.

he slowly raised your head, wiping the tears off your face. you leaned into his touch, closing your eyes.

"i hate this bastard so much"

"it's only natural, princess! he kidnapped you, killed your parents in front of you and emotionally scarred you for the rest of your life"

you were silent for a moment, just looking at each other. he started caressing your cheek with his thumb, drawing small invisible circles on your skin.

"you were just a child... you didn't deserve any of that..." he said, staring into your eyes.

"children always have to pay the price of an adult's actions"

dabi couldn't agree more on that. he didn't voice it, though· he just nodded his head, giving you a silent answer.

he could see the hatred burning in your eyes, and the pain swimming in them.

and that's when he knew· you were just like him; a broken child that had its childhood ripped away in the cruelest way possible.