"doll? doll! dollface!"

you blinked when a hand moved in front of your face, snapping you out of your daze.

"huh? what are you doing here?"

"i was just flying by and i saw you sitting here alone! so, i thought of stopping to say hi but i had to call your name for, at least, five minutes til you snapped back to reality"

"dollface is... not my name"

"i tried y/n, too, but it didn't work"

you sighed as you leaned against the railings of your balcony, looking at the busy streets of japan.

"how can i help the damsel in distress, today?"

"oh, i don't need help with anything! i was just thinking of some things" you said, smiling.

"are you sure?"

"yes! thank you, though"

truth is, you've been constantly thinking of your meeting with the league of villains.

you were still shaking with fear. if it wasn't for dabi, you would've been turned to dust in seconds.

you knew, you should've been more careful. after all, he told you not to try lying and you just lied.

and all of that... to protect the hero that cared so deeply about you.

"you're spacing out again" hawks said, one of his feathers tickling your face.

"oh, i'm sorry" you softly laughed.

"i'm getting worried, y/n. are you really okay?"

"i guess, i'm just tired. it's been a rough week at work"

"do you take days off?"

"when i truly need one, yes!"

"do you sleep well?" he asked, leaning closer to your face.

you moved your face away from his, putting some space between you.

"i've been staying up late for... work" you lied.

"sure... work" he said, his eyes locked on the marks on the side of your neck.

he fell silent after that, not bothering to fix his gaze elsewhere. he was so shamelessly staring at them, until you covered them with your hand.

"don't you have work to do?"

"my work is around here"

"i'm guarding the alley of any villain that can appear" he added.

"that alley is nearly a block away from here!"

"and what if i'm guarding the one next to your apartment complex?"

your eyes slightly widened in shock. you didn't know that they started guarding that one, too.

that was the alley dabi was waiting for you at every day, after all.

"tell me, y/n... have you seen anyone there?"

"i haven't..."

your hands were slightly shaking, afraid that he'd be able to see right through your lie.

"is it true...? there have been villains in this alley...?"

"a civilian only caught a glimpse of blue flames one day. nothing more"

"yet, i'm worried, doll... there's camera footage of you going in that alley every day" he said, placing a hand on your cheek.

"camera footage?" you asked softly, masking your fear.

"we've installed cameras on the opposite building. i check the footage every day for the past few weeks, and i always see you walking there. to the very back of it" he replied, twirling a strand of your hair in between his fingers.

"oh, the back door to my apartment complex is there!"

"back door?" he asked in which you nodded.

"but you have a front door"

"yeah... and no key"

"my front door key broke one day and i've been trying to get it replaced for some time, now"

"but it doesn't really bother me, since i can get in through the back door" you explained, smiling softly.

"oh! that's what it is, then! you got so pale earlier, i thought you were hiding something!" he said, scratching the back of his neck.

"i'd call it a valid reaction! you scared me when you said about villains! i'm going there on the daily!"

"sorry, sorry!" he laughed, patting your shoulder.

"anyways, dollface! i'm gonna go back to my duty. maybe i can catch a bad villain and impress you with my skills"

"no way you will" you said, folding your arms to your chest.

"what if i will? will you agree on me treating you to dinner, then?"

"no!"

"ouch" he said, placing a hand over his heart.

"you've hurt, not only my heart, but my ego, too"

"go back to your job"

"yes, ma'am!"